"Four gallon gas" tubes?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BMGfan

Reaction score
Hey folks. New to kegging here. I bought three ball lock kegs from my local pepsi distributor and in cleaning them up I noticed that they all had a little metal ring around the gas in post that said "Four imperial gallon gas tube". The gas in tubes are 2 and 3/8ths inches long from the top of the flange to the tip.

Is this right for typical homebrew use or am I going to have to get a tube cutter and trim these guys up? If I have to trim them what's the correct length for a gas in tube?

Thanks in advance.

yep, Id say cut them. I think most of mine are about an inch or less. You only want to fill the keg to the level of the gas tube. Above the tube and you run the risk of getting beer in your gas lines.

yep, Id say cut them. I think most of mine are about an inch or less. You only want to fill the keg to the level of the gas tube. Above the tube and you run the risk of getting beer in your gas lines.

So the gas in tube then basically only provides a seal between the poppet and the post?

Back