I dont kniw hiw muxh water to use

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benzy4010

Reaction score
Got a recipe filled at my local home brew shop off their website ect but it doesn't tell me how much water to mash with or sparge with soooooooo how do I figure this out? Nit anywhere close to them and their phone is busy every time I call. It's a five gallon batch and the recipe is a shoultz Meyer double trouble.

image-4238217022.jpg

Attachments

• image-282059067.jpg
    image-282059067.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 242
That's the details and grain bill. And how long to ferment I've been looking at posts where people will leave in primary for a month then bottle. That gonna work... This is only my second batch. Hope this isn't a dumb question.

Well just received beersmith but it won't load for some reason on my comp so none. That's just off their webpage from the Bree shop

Gonna use 3.5 then sparge with 5 gallons I guess

I do BIAB so I don't know what the best numbers are for conventional AG, but in any case, better too much than too little. If you end up with too much wort in your kettle, you can always boil for a while before throwing the hops in. My first batch I had 7 gallons of wort for a 5 gallon batch, so I split the difference: boiled for 30 minutes to bring the volume down to around 6.5 gallons, then added the hops. Ended at about 5.5 gallons. It threw off the recipe, but not by enough to be a big problem.

Gonna use 3.5 then sparge with 5 gallons I guess

3.5 is good but keep in mind that at that point, the grain is saturated and won't absorb more water. measure how much you get in first runnings and measure out what you need, exactly, to get to your boil.

so if you're going for 6 gallons into the boil and you get 2 gallons of first runnings, just go for 4 gallons to mash out. another gallon is just another gallon to boil off.

Back