My passion but no money (sad face)!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteakGrisel

Reaction score
Over the past year I have been able to bulid up my home brewery, but the cost of ingredients does not seem to be agreeing with my budget. Does anyone know where I can buy quality ingredients that wont make me poorer than I already am?! Feel free to laugh, my wife already did!!!:(
P.S. Does anyone have military discounts?

Are you an all grain brewer? I would guess you are, if you are concerned with cost. If not, you need to get there ASAP. As far as cheap ingredients, Brewmasters Warehouse is the best online store out there, IMHO. Many AG kits can be purchased in the $20-25 dollar range, and that INCLUDES yeast, often liquid. If you get the kits, and enter the code BBBYO it will give you 10% off the already awesome prices.

SteakGrisel said:
I am setup for all grain! I have also stareted to harvest my yeast to save on cost!

In that case you can just use the Brewbuilder on BMW to create inexpensive recipes and just exclude yeast to save cash.

P.S. Does anyone have military discounts?

IIRC, HopTech offers military discounts...

Edit: Yup. From their website:
We give a 15% Military Discount, Active and Retired. We are still working on shipping as only USPS ships APO/FPO. Please call or email to order. If you have a regular address place your order as usual, scan your Active Military ID and we will take the 15% discount when we approve your order. Sorry for the nose bleed, we are working it out!

Just do the miller (really triple hopped) recipe.....$12. I'm sure your budget can handle that.

Here is my take:

1 - Go all grain (or as close as possible)
2 - Buy in bulk (especially hops)
3 - Wash your yeast
4 - Brew low gravity ales with low ingredients (i.e. - not IIPA)

There are other various methods, but these will cut down on the bulk of your expenses. I'm a stay at home dad/grad student and my wife is a librarian. We don't have a bunch of extra income, but by doing these things I have cut my costs down to ~$20 a batch, less if there are few ingredients. Most people hit the first three points hard, with neglect of the fourth because they might not want to compromise. BM's Centennial Blonde is a great brew that is fairly cheap to make, I can do it for about $15. Is it my favorite type of brew of all time? Certainly not. I wish I could brew a Imp stout or IPA every time I brew. However, it fulfills my desire to brew more often, tastes great, and most importantly keeps my cost low enough to enjoy my hobby without breaking the bank. Recently, Ive been using the grain bill as a base for some single hop beers, making it even more exciting to see what you come up with in a month or so.

I will look into hop tech, thanks mcaple but i dont drink the big 3 even if its home brew. Does BMW mill grains?

dually noted....but take a look at the recipe on the forum first and make up your mind from there. it's actually a pretty big hit...much like BM's recipe as well. I'm just saying, just because its cheap, doesn't mean it can't taste good.

Latest posts

Back