Guess the contents of the Bottle!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeG

Reaction score
Last weekend I bottled a batch of Apfelwein and my first batch of AG. Normally I will just put a letter code on the cap to indicate what it is but since I pull my caps out of a bowl filled with Star-San I wait until they dry to mark them.

In my head I know which is which but the wife decided it was time clean up the basement and subsequently organize my brewing stuff and mixed the bottles together and now I have no clue as to what is in the bottle.

All bottles are in 6-pack containers and are of the same type so if one of the six is beer, the other 5 are also beer. While Apfelwein is extremely clear my beer is also at this point, I can't tell the diff! I'd like to identify them and wondered if there were any tricks. I think once they are bottle conditioned I can chill them and I think my beer will get chill haze. Any recommendations?

In my Apflewein, I get much less sediment in the bottles. I'm not sure if it because of the yeast or the lower density. That may be a clue.

MikeG: Would you like to have Apfelwein or beer?
Friend: Beer
MikeG: Can't promise that. Only have Apfelwein or beer.
Friend: I said beer.
MikeG: I understand, but I only have "Apfelwein or beer"?
Friend: I'm confused. Do you have Apfelwein and beer.
MikeG: yes
Friend: I'd like a beer.
MikeB: I can't help you if you only want beer, you must want "Apfelwein or beer"? I can give you that, I just can't get you a beer.
Friend: This is too complicated, I'm going to the bar.

MikeG: Would you like to have Apfelwein or beer?
Friend: Beer
MikeG: Can't promise that. Only have Apfelwein or beer.
Friend: I said beer.
MikeG: I understand, but I only have "Apfelwein or beer"?
Friend: I'm confused. Do you have Apfelwein and beer.
MikeG: yes
Friend: I'd like a beer.
MikeB: I can't help you if you only want beer, you must want "Apfelwein or beer"? I can give you that, I just can't get you a beer.
Friend: This is too complicated, I'm going to the bar.

Haha, a variant of this has ran through my head.

I'll be looking for sediment, I think this advice is spot on as the Apfelwein definately has very little sediment and I under-primed this batch for less carbination. Thanks guys! :mug:

Looking at the bottles is no fun. I say you just start drinking a bottle of each, mark the rest and make a game out of guessing. Then again, at work we make a game out of everything to keep ourselves sane.

Latest posts

Back