Better Bottle Racking unit question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FreakinA

Reaction score
So my LHBS had a sale on 5gal BB with racking kit for 35 dollars and I picked one up. I plan on using it as a secondary to dry hop my IPA next week(or tell me if thats stupid and Ill just regular secondary it[or tell me if thats stupid and Ill just long primary it]). Anyways, I have filled up the BB with water to play with the racking adapter, and it seems like I cant get the liquid out of it if its below the white 1 inch diameter part(the part that goes through the BB wall) regardless of where I spin the filler tube to. I understand not racking the trub, but thats like 2.5-3 inches from the bottom, and thats got to be lots of good beer and apfelwein! What do the pros out here do to get the bottom thats not trub? I have thought about tilting it a bit but I'm looking for the smart way.

No I do not, I have that little 2 or 3 inch tube on the inside, and for a test had nothing connected on the outside and just ran it off of my sink. If I have a hose and it is lower would that generated enough 'suction' so the little tube could pull liquid from wherever? That seems simple enough if it works.

I think it should. You need a little more on the outside to get a siphon going to get it up from below the adapter.

Yes, the side that is sucking has to be longer. The volume of liquid in the external side has to be greater than the internal side, more volume = more weight. Since the external side has more liquid, it will be heavier and then will draw the internal side towards it.

Latest posts

Back