San Diego

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nate

Reaction score
Heading there for 4 days next month and looking for input on brew pubs, things not to miss, etc. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. :mug:

Deep breath...
Stone, Lost Abbey, Port Brewing, Ballast Point, Alesmith, Lightning, Alpine, SD Brewing Co...
Crap, I can't do it in one breath. Go here instead.

Of course, the BEST thing to do is to hook up with local HBT'ers and drink beer.
When will you be in town and what will your availability be? Mine's spotty next month, but would enjoy meeting a visitor if I can.
What are your primary beer preferences?

Deep breath...
Stone, Lost Abbey, Port Brewing, Ballast Point, Alesmith, Lightning, Alpine, SD Brewing Co...

Of course, the BEST thing to do is to hook up with local HBT'ers and drink beer.
When will you be in town and what will your availability be? Mine's spotty next month, but would enjoy meeting a visitor if I can.

+1 on the local HBT'ers. :drunk:

Great hospitality!

Deep breath...

Cool site. The wife is actually there for a conference and I got a very cheap ticket so decided to tag along. I'll drop you a PM once I get her schedule (i.e. our schedule). :) On the beer, we're more on the malty side than the hoppy side... stouts, porters, Scotch ales, etc during the colder months and like the wheats, wits, etc during the summer months.

3 of my favorite San Diego bars

Hamiltons
[ame="http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF-8&q=the+live+wire&near=San+Diego,+CA&fb=1&view=text&latlng=15545298650019071592&dtab=2&ei=HR6FSKy9Ioq6jgPl1ej0DQ&reviews=1&oi=more_rev&sa=X"]The Live Wire[/ame]
O'Brien's

Cool site. The wife is actually there for a conference and I got a very cheap ticket so decided to tag along. I'll drop you a PM once I get her schedule (i.e. our schedule). :) On the beer, we're more on the malty side than the hoppy side... stouts, porters, Scotch ales, etc during the colder months and like the wheats, wits, etc during the summer months.

Wow, so your wife is busy all day and you are free to do whatever? I am unfortunately busy during the day but can help you plan your time for maximum entertainment value. We can even try to make sure you end up close to her conference so she can pick your drunk a$$ up:D

Wow, so your wife is busy all day and you are free to do whatever? I am unfortunately busy during the day but can help you plan your time for maximum entertainment value. We can even try to make sure you end up close to her conference so she can pick your drunk a$$ up:D

Sounds like a great plan. :rockin: PM to follow...

Well, I live a 5 min walk from downtown, I'm kinda new so I don't really know of all the HBTers in the area, but as for bars? I really like Hamiltons, the Stout Public house (kinda a little-known one, great food too), and The Blarney Stone (when it's open) run me a holler if you need help finding your way around, lots to do in San Diego, so little time to do it in.

Dont forget to stop by Home brew mart, the LHBS I frequent. They're also a brewery, Ballast Point, and have all their stuff on tap to try right in the shop. Its only a few mins away from Old Town and not hard to find. Calahans is also a great place to go with great Irish Nachos and some local brews on tap, its in Mira Mesa which is a lil bit of a drive out of the city but not that far away.

Dont forget to stop by Home brew mart, the LHBS I frequent. They're also a brewery, Ballast Point, and have all their stuff on tap to try right in the shop. Its only a few mins away from Old Town and not hard to find. Calahans is also a great place to go with great Irish Nachos and some local brews on tap, its in Mira Mesa which is a lil bit of a drive out of the city but not that far away.

:off:Home Brew Mart is great, except for the prices on carboys :( they started carrying lalvin yeasts though, so I don't have to drive to La Mesa to find some 1118

So, it turns out that Nate is going to be here during a time when I am unusually free. How many San Diego area HBT'ers would be interested in a meet-up somewhere to swap brews and talk like beer geeks? I'm targeting Aug. 18th or 19th, after work. (I think the 19th works better for Nate)

Let me know when and where, my schedule is really unpredictable thanks to uncle sam. I'd love to throw a couple back with fellow HBT'rs

How's the mass transit in San Diego? Probably won't get a car unless absolutely needed...

How's the mass transit in San Diego? Probably won't get a car unless absolutely needed...

That will be somewhat limiting, but you can certainly still plan a full itinerary. Especially if walking a couple miles in not a big deterrent for you. Downtown, where you are staying, a car will be a burden. From there, you can walk or take short bus ride to Balboa Park and the Zoo. You can walk to the Midway Aircraft carrier museum. Seaport Village (touristy shops) and The Star of India (old Tallship) are along that walk. By hopping on the Trolley, you can visit Home Brew Mart, The San Diego Brewing Company, and a few malls.
If you have lots of time, you can actually get all the way to Stone in Escondido by taking the Coaster to Oceanside, and then the Sprinter to a stop just down the hill from Stone. It is a beautiful train ride, but will certainly burn a couple hours each way.
I am not the most familiar with the hot spots downtown, but it sounds like Freezeblade has that covered.

Hey guys. Let me know when you're meeting up. I should be around at that time and I am sure I could contribute some beer for this. I won't have much, but I should be able to provide a growler, some bottles, and maybe a few SD beers for the non-resident.

I'm back in town. I'm busy as hell this week, but will organize as many HBT'ers as possible and a meeting place.
C'mon San Diegans (or South Orange County if you're feeling ambitious) Drop a note of interest here and let's make this a memorable event.
:mug: :mug: :mug:

I'll be in San Diego Saturday afternoon through Tuesday morning moving my daughter into her new apartment for school.

What a pleasant surprise!

Hey Nate, you mentioned possibly having something going on Monday, Is that still the case or can you swing it?

Looks like I'm basically free during the day Monday and all day Tuesday... Sunday after 8 PM is also an option. The wife can join us Sunday after 8 PM and Tuesday evening. What does everyone think?

Hi All,
I apologize for dropping the organizing ball. It has been a terribly rough couple of weeks.
Anyway, I called O'Brien's pub and it is allright if we meet up there tomorrow night and trade homebrews (as long as we are ordering food an beer too, shouldn't be a problem)
I'm thinking 5:30 or 6. I plan on eating dinner there, but would be fine if we just got lots of different appetizers to share around.
I will PM all who showed interest. Also, I can pick up any one in the central SDish area and plan on pacing myself to still drive after. Let me know if you need a ride.
Hope we can get a few SD HBT'er together and share some of our local stuff with Nate.
Cheers.

I wish I logged in earlier and saw this, I'm gonna be busy and wont be able to make it for this one. I really hope that someone can put something together in the future. Have a good one guys :mug:

Well, nevermind then. Nate, I hope you and the wife had a nice time in SD and managed to sample stuff that was to your liking.

All others, let's start thinking of a local HBT meetup.
Join the group (see my sig) and we can use that forum to try and herd us cats up.

After a long drive to San Diego and spending a day and a half assembling furniture, I treated myself to a growler of Ballast Point Big Eye IPA. I'm sorry I did not have time for a visit, but was tied up moving my daughter in for college. It turns out she lives 3.8 miles from Homebrew Mart & BP on Linda Vista.

BallastPointGrowler.jpg

I left my growler there for future visits. :mug:

Hey guys,

I didn't hear anything before we left on Saturday and didn't want to impose so I wasn't very aggressive about organizing anything. Sorry we missed potentially meeting some of you.

On the positive side, your city is AWESOME!!! Weather... incredible. 70s, low humidity, great breezes. People... incredible. Every person I met was friendly and nice. Last but not least, the food and beer... you guessed it... incredible. :D

Unfortunately, we did no brewery tours. The wife's schedule was pretty full and almost every evening was booked. We went to Dick's Last Resort a few times (close to the hotel) and I had a couple at an Irish Pub on Coronado. We had an event on the yacht America and brought 3 or 4 six packs of local brews.

We also had an event on the flight deck of the USS Midway which was all you can drink and eat... very cool.

Overall, great trip and you guys definitely have a beautiful city.

Back