Extract and malted rye?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you mean you want to make a partial mash IPA with malted rye or you want to make an IPA with rye malt extract? No problem at all with the former but I don't think the latter even exists.

Rye malt by itself has no husks so you'll want to figure on a pound of 2-row or some rice hulls so your sparge doesn't stick on you.

malted rye will convert itself and then some, so you can use it along with an extract recipe. you should use the proper temperature and amount of water for the grains as you will be "mashing"

Sorry for being vague. Yes, I meant using malted rye in an extract recipe. I'm assuming, then, that I use it like other PM recipes? I haven't worked out a recipe yet, but I was thinking of using light DME, crystal (60L?), and rye malt. Steep for 20 mins? Should I also use rice hulls? I'm pretty new to brewing so, even though I've read A LOT, I still have quite a bit to learn, particularly when it comes to the less-than-usual.

You'll need to mash the rye & crystal of 60 minutes around 152F. Use a loosely-filled bag for mashing & you won't need the rice hulls or 2-row.

Back