bottle condition or bulk condition for big belgians?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
so i have a golden strong ale that is 8.11% and a dark strong ale that is 8.92%. they were brewed on the same day 6 weeks ago. 2 weeks in primary, 3 weeks in secondary, and now 1 week in kegs just for storage because i don't have enough carboys. my target date for start of consumption is memorial day / first of june. both of these beers will eventually be bottle conditioned in 750ml belgian bottles with corks and cages. first question is what do you think of the length of time for conditioning? i'm in no hurry at all, i just really want to get it right. the second question, and the more important one, is when do i bottle? another way to ask it; what will benefit the beer's flavor more, bottling now (or soon) and letting them cellar for 8 weeks, or leaving them in the kegs for another 4-5 weeks and then bottling? both are ready to bottle now, inasmuch as they've reached their FGs and are very clear. is my presumption of 4-5 weeks needed to get a good carb right? i'll be using invert sugar to prime.

is this a shameless plug for the BM bottle filler? :cross: that's how i usually bottle, but i kind of wanted to be all traditional and stuff. if you can give me a good reason for the benefit of the beer to force carb and fill then i'd do it.

Back