Infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sivdrinks

Reaction score
I have what looks like dried paint chips in my secondary of a smoked porter. I kegged and bottled anyway because it tasted fine. One of the six bottles has the paint looking stuff floating at the top of the bottle, the others are fine. Any thoughts? Not sure how to post a pix on my phone.

some people will say that the beer is just going through the fermentation stage in the bottle which will produce a small krausen, some say its infected. I will say this in my experience. ANY beer that I have bottled and noticed a film or "krausen" have always been way overcarbed. Luckily they are few and far between but thats my experience.

Beer was fine I primary about 3 weeks. Fine in secondary untill around the two week mark after I moved it into the garage for a ghetto cold crash. I racked from underneath the film/skum and pretty much kept it on top of the beer all the way till the end. There wasn't much of it, it looked like that white out tape. The keg is carbing, should I open it and look?

Well 3 outa 6 bottles have the film. Just pulled a sample from the keg, tastes like a good smoked porter to me. Gonna keep and drink her.

Drinking outta keg, still good but no lacing after head fizzled like soda. Due to pellicle or just not fully carbed yet? Been about 12 days at 11 psi.

eastoak said:
turn up the pressure and check it daily.

I usually shake carb at least a bit to give it a head start. This is the first time I've ever set it and forget it.

Latest posts

Back