Brew stand upgrade

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckeye34

Reaction score
I am thinking about adding the jadedbrewing.com “cleanable counterflow” to my current brew stand. They list it as the same cooling area as the chillzilla, but with this one you can see the inside and it includes a cleaning rod. I did notice that it is not convoluted like the chillzilla, but I think it might not be too much different in chilling times because the wort changes directions and materials. It looks similar to the copper in pvc design that mrjofus1959 made for his brew stand, but this is the first one I have seen from an equipment supplier (I have trouble with IKEA furniture, no way I am trying to build a chiller like this). Is there anyone else offering this kind of option for the clean freaks like me?

Thanks.

I like the looks of that beast - and I've never seen one like it posted on HBT. While I'm sure it's a pita to unhook all the tubing, if being able to see just how clean you've gotten your chiller is important, I can't see how you'd beat this design...

[edit] ...unless you made it longer. 12 feet is pretty short for a CF chiller, and unless you have an exceptionally cold water source year 'round, or you wouldn't mind setting up a re-circulation system with a sump, pump and a crapton of ice, it may not be worth all that clean-ability...

Cheers!

I like the looks of that beast - and I've never seen one like it posted on HBT. While I'm sure it's a pita to unhook all the tubing, if being able to see just how clean you've gotten your chiller is important, I can't see how you'd beat this design...

[edit] ...unless you made it longer. 12 feet is pretty short for a CF chiller, and unless you have an exceptionally cold water source year 'round, or you wouldn't mind setting up a re-circulation system with a sump, pump and a crapton of ice, it may not be worth all that clean-ability...

Cheers!

Yeah, I thought that too, but it has the same length as the chillzilla which people seem to be happy with. This thread is kind of along these lines too. I am curious to see how it works for him. I was thinking that if I needed to double up two of these things, it would get close to plate chiller times AND be cleanable. I have heard too many people talking about the never ending trub exiting their plate chiller to go that route. Also, it is still $40ish less than the chillzilla.

Back