Imperial Oatmeal Stout Recipe Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArrowheadAles

Reaction score
Please let me know what you think about this recipe for an Imperial Oatmeal Stout. I have time for some minor changes, but tomorrow will be brew day!

10 gallon batch - 14 gallon preboil volume

Grain Bill

28 lb 2-row
1 lb Roasted Barley
2 lb Chocolate Malt
1 lb De-bittered black malt
4 lb Flaked oats
1 lb Caramel 80
1 lb Caramel 120

OG - 1.100 :rockin:

Hops

2 oz Nugget at 60
3 oz Williamette at flame out

Mash at 152 for 90 minutes sparge at 167 and a 75 minute boil

Yeast - 2L starter made with yeast slurry from a cake from previous batch of pale ale 2 weeks ago I stored - WL San Diego Super Yeast

Thanks for the input....Looking forward to staying warm this winter with this monster!

Recipe looks awesome, only thing id recommend is a higher mash temp for a bit more body to it

Looks like a scaled up version of a 5gal Chocolate Oatmeal Stout I just brewed - mine has a pound of lactose in it though :)

That's one thing about the mash temp I was wondering about. I'm going to up it to 155.

Has anyone added brown sugar to something like this? I was curious on that process and the result. I'll be aging this in a bourbon barrel as well.

With 2 pounds of chocolate and 2 pounds of crystal, you might have plenty of body without having to mash so high. Put the recipe into hopville to see what the estimated FG will be?

I've never added brown sugar directly to a beer. It will contribute some molasses flavor I think. With a beer this big you might want to add the sugar to the fermentor around day 3 of fermentation. My only experience with sugars is making invert sugar for my Belgian beers. I love barrel aged beers, good luck with this one!

Back