Coffin Keezer build (thanks Jester)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoppylikerabbits

Reaction score
So after the long debate of wanting to build a Coffin Keezer.. I finally decided to take on the challenge. I've been working on it on and off due to working weekends and life situations. but here is the start of it. We were doing 2 at the same time.. one is going to have the capacity of 7 Corney Kegs and one with 4. (24inch coffin vs 36 inch coffin). And for those of you that are afraid of taking on this project.. I HAVE 0 wood working skills. I learned it all while taking on this project.

IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0011.jpg

IMG_0012.jpg

Second part of the project update.... Ill keep the build rolling.. wont be able to work on it this weekend due to an exercise going on.. :(

IMG_0018.jpg

IMG_0021.jpg

IMG_0022.jpg

IMG_0023.jpg

IMG_0024.jpg

What are you going to do about ventilation on the freezer? Typically, these chest freezers use the front and two sides to vent away the heat (unless they have a coil on the back). Putting it that tight into a box is likely going to screw it up pretty quickly.

Build looks damn good, though! Nice woodwork for sure!

The 2 freezers that we are using have the slants on the right side and holes on the back as well as coils on the back. I think it should be good. When i had it running in my garage last year the freezer actually ran cooler than the ambient air in the garage. If i do have a problem with over heating ill modify it like Jester did by running a fan and some duct work in it. Also there is a full 1 1/2 of space on all sides of the Freezer, just looks like its a tight fit due to the top.

What are you going to do about ventilation on the freezer? Typically, these chest freezers use the front and two sides to vent away the heat (unless they have a coil on the back). Putting it that tight into a box is likely going to screw it up pretty quickly.

Build looks damn good, though! Nice woodwork for sure!

That is open for debate. There are build threads on this board with the wood tight to the sides of the freezer that are many years old and the keezers are still running strong. (and my AC+R expert buddy says that the R value of wood is so low that it is not an issue)

You may get longer life if you over engineer ;) but my suspicion is that it does't make enough difference to worry about it.

And it looks great, BTW

Update: The CoffinKeezer has been completed and i just pulled my first pint off of it.. Simply put.... AMAZING! Again, It was not that hard to build however it is time consuming.. here are some more pictures. Sorry for the quality. these have all been taken with my phone.

IMG_0045.jpg

IMG_0046.jpg

IMG_0047.jpg

IMG_0051.jpg

IMG_0052.jpg

During the staining and sealing I made a makeshift paint booth using drop-cloths and tacking them to the ceiling and then using tape to seal it up to the ground and each other. The only thing that i wish i would have known about was to wet the whole thing down allowing the grain to expand to get a glass smooth surface prior to staining and sealing. Next time i guess :)

IMG_0054.jpg

IMG_0055.jpg

IMG_0056.jpg

IMG_0062.jpg

IMG_0068.jpg

The only thing i have left to do is finalize the skirt for the carpet that it rests on. However i am about to move so that might be put on hold till the move is complete.. Let me know if there are any questions, and ill try and help out as much as i can. The temperature is electronically controlled by the STC-1000 that is mounted to the back of the kegerator. I also have to redesign the insulation of the "tower" due to the fact that the Fan pulls a lot of CFM and it causes the Keezer to heat up from 3.3c to 5.4C in about 2 hrs. Thanks for looking and BREW ON!!

IMG_0069.jpg

IMG_0079.jpg

IMG_0080.jpg

Sorry for the late reply. If id have to estimate, including the freezer i would say round the 1.5k area. That includes all taps, shanks, electrical, tile, wood, seal, ect ect. I used oak wood so that brought up the price a bit.

I'm halfway thru my build. I have 7 kegs. The problem I'm running into is all the moisture building up is causing mold/mildew. I bought one of the largest wireless dehumidifiers on amazon but didn't notice a difference. Im thinking about adding a fan or possibly a second dehumidifier. Any other suggestions or advice?

I like brewing not scrubbing with bleach lol!

I'm halfway thru my build. I have 7 kegs. The problem I'm running into is all the moisture building up is causing mold/mildew. I bought one of the largest wireless dehumidifiers on amazon but didn't notice a difference. Im thinking about adding a fan or possibly a second dehumidifier. Any other suggestions or advice?

I like brewing not scrubbing with bleach lol!

I did some research on this in case I ever build a keezer myself. I'm just getting into home brewing and am still waiting on my brew kit to come. It's killing me I can't wait to begin. Anyway, I found a post in a home and gardening board, and found a product called damp rid. People use it in their home to get rid of moisture. Here is the link http://www.damprid.com/ let me know if you use this solution and if it works . I checked on the pricing and for 9 bucks you can get a 10 oz tub sand 42 oz refill tub for 8 bucks. It should last you about 225 days.

Back