Mini Co2 Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LakesideBrewing

Reaction score
Hi,

I just bought one of these so I don't have to lug a 10 pound cylinder of Co2 around this summer. Here is a warning for this product from their website:

WARNING: Never attach the ball or pin lock valve to the charger first. It can cause the valve to be OVER-PRESSURIZED and fail. Always attach the ball or pin lock valve to the keg first, then attach the Cornelius CO2 Keg Charger to the disconnect valve.

If I do what they say, I need to bleed all the Co2 from the head space of my keg, right? That's not good. Am I reading this wrong? Does anyone use one of these?

Thanks,
-MIke

What they are saying is don't screw the CO2 bulb into the unit until its hooked up to a keg.
Otherwise you shoot about 900psi into the plastic top of the charger and the unit fails (i.e. it becomes several smaller non-functional pieces).

To get more to your question though, yes, they're assuming you don't have much pressure inside the keg, such that attaching the valve and empty charger unit first. The valve in the charger is going to prevent your CO2 headspace from emptying out. I'm assuming its only 12psi (serving pressure) inside the keg, so popping on the gas disconnect won't be hard.

Right! And, after it's on there, you can change co2 bulbs just by screwing/unscrewing them. Once it's on, it can stay on unless you have friends who just feel like they have to pull the trigger. I think it took about 5 of those little co2 tanks to push a keg of beer at my last party.

Right! And, after it's on there, you can change co2 bulbs just by screwing/unscrewing them. Once it's on, it can stay on unless you have friends who just feel like they have to pull the trigger. I think it took about 5 of those little co2 tanks to push a keg of beer at my last party.

what are the size of those chargers? 16 grams?

Back