Pellet Hops Straining

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uberhack

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Quick question. I just brewed a batch using pellet hops for the first time. My plastic kitchen colander clogged up a lot and I ended up letting a whole bunch of the hops get into the fermenter. I've already pitched the yeast so I don't think I can try straining any of it out now.
Is this going to be an issue? Suggestions (aside from Relax, Have a Homebrew...) ha.

Other that whole leaf, my pellet hops never get filtered....just check everything in there...including (oh no he's not going to say it) yep....cold break too.now if you want to harvest your yeast, you might not want to go this route, but if you just chuck it out after primary is over, then yeah, filtering really isn't all that necessary. In fact, some of the cold break material is good for the yeast. so yeah RDWHAHB

Many if not most, of us don't bother to strain out the hops. Just dump the wort into the fermenter with no worries. You are fine. They won't hurt a thing.

I think it's probably been said, but I tried something on my last brew that really worked. I used a 1 gallon pain strainer bag with my pellet hops in it and hardly had anything in my strainer. As for it being an issue, no, it shouldn't. I do like to harvest my yeast so I'd like to have less trub in my fermenter. Those bags, or something similar at the homebrew stores, work better than I expected.

I agree with these guys. I never filter, and I wouldn't call my whirlpool setup ideal. The only time hop particles made it into a keg was on a Pliny clone, but it had a pound of hop pellets in there. If I would have cold crashed it first, I'm sure it would have eliminated the problem.

I always use a mesh bag. It does not get it all as some of the pellet hops makes it through, but it does keep a lot in the bag.

Still using buckets for primary's so I use two buckets, with a 5 gallon sanitized paint strainer, after throwing pellets in boil. Works great. Use a 1 gallon paint strainer for dry hops, and a strainer zip tied over the racking cane. Beer has been coming out pretty clear of sludge.

How do you strain the hops if you use a carboy for Primary?

Use a funnel with a strainer in it - it just gets tedious, because the hops tend to clog up the strainer, so you need to constantly stir to keep things flowing through that strainer.

More work than it's worth, to be honest. Unless you're trying to harvest the yeast when after fermentation is done, don't evern worry about it - just transfer everything over into the fermenter.

Latest posts

Back