Bottling from a Perlick Tap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ninjai

Reaction score
Hey guys,

A while back I was reading a thread on making a device to bottle from a perlick tap. Perhaps I cannot bottle from my kind of taps, because I have this kind of tap and when I use my device to bottle, beer leaks out of the face of it (where the circular part on the front goes in when you open the tap), and I believe out of a small hole that is on the underside of the tap.

Can I outright not bottle from these taps, or is there something I can do about it?

I had the similar issue just last night. In my case I simply put a bucket under the tap and deal with the little bit of loss I had. About 1/2 cup per 1.5 gallons. The beer is going to be drunk very soon, so I'm not really worried about an infection setting in. I did sanitize the outside of the tap though.

I have 2 other taps that are the same and they don't do leak like this. I wonder if there's a seal that is worn out somewhere.

Any help is appreciated.

2 other taps liek this that don't? I made this kegerator in the summer, the tower was new. I really hope it didn't wear out *that* quickly!

Not sure what thread your using to make a DIY device (I'd be interested in looking at it), but this is an option for the version that has a screw in tip, and this is an option for the newer model w/o the screw in capability.

The second link you posted is the exact thing I made myself. It shouldn't matter though, it leaks out the face of the tap, not the spout.

Seems like a seal issue in the faucet itself, but I haven't used one so I'm not speculating. I was planning to buy the Bowie Bottler, but I'd still like to take a look at the DIY thread you're talking about. You have a link?

I just use my old bottling wand with the tip cut off and a short piece of 3/8" tubing attached. The 3/8" tubing fiis snugly into the Perlick 525 spout. Before filling the bottles I'll pull the corney relief valve and empty the CO2 pressure and cut the CO2 tank pressure to 3-5 lbs. Then bottle away. If I don't get enough foam to cap on I'll flush the bottle with CO2 to make sure no O2 is present when I cap. Having the bottle at the same temp as the beer helps reduce the foam as well. Cheers, and happy bottling!!!

The second link you posted is the exact thing I made myself. It shouldn't matter though, it leaks out the face of the tap, not the spout.

I wouldn't expect faucets to be designed to deal with back pressure, and it appears the rear seal design is particularly vulnerable to beer finding another way out...

Cheers!

I made the a similar design from another post, which I cant find. But just put a ball lock fitting on the end of your line and bottle off the keg instead if trying to do it from the faucet. My racking cane fit snuggly inside the tip of a picnic tap. Just slid a stopper over it and cut the end at an angle with a hacksaw.

Unless you want to replace your faucets, I'd just build a cheap filling device, as day_trippr suggests, and swap it with the faucet line during filling.

Although I must say I have enjoyed my screw in filling adapter. It's made filling bottles MUCH faster and easier than my old BMBF gun.

Latest posts

Back