Anybody out there have a copy of...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kvh

Reaction score
Back in the 70's, a privileged few who made big bucks working for Saudi Arabian oil company Aramco ALSO were fortunate enough to be taught how to homebrew. Apparently this was all because it was impossible to PURCHASE alcohol, so the company encouraged their employees to brew their own.

Long story short, there was a zine - the best description I've found so far - circulated by the company through it's staff as a sort of brewing manual called (get this):

PERFECTED TECHNIQUES
ON THE EBULLITION
OF
SUGAR, WATER, & SUITABLE CATALYST
TO FORM
AN ACCEPTABLE ARAMCO
ASSIMILATIVE IMBIBABLE
POTION
APPROPRIATE FOR CONSUMPTION​

(awesome, huh?)

One of the guys who started Brooklyn Brewery learned about homebrewing from someone who caught the brewing bug while in the middle east.

My question is - does anyone have a copy of this thing? I'd love to see scans of it.

thx
kvh

My dad was in that company. I'm gonna have to ask him. Post it if you find it though as it would be interesting.

When I was fresh out of college one of the engineers I worked with told stories of making beer while on a big project in Saudi Arabia -- he said they had to germinate the barley themselves, etc. Really must have been a labor of love and necessity...

The is a document called, I think, the Blue Flame that is the same kind of thing but around the topic of distillation. Google and see if anything comes up.

Brewpastor said:
The is a document called, I think, the Blue Flame that is the same kind of thing but around the topic of distillation. Google and see if anything comes up.

I have and have also found nothing. Like I said, I may have a line on said 'Blue Flame'. I'm workin' on it. I've actually had spirits made from it's methods, and I'm fine! I've actually had spirits made from it's methods, and I'm fine!

I have too said spirits had, I have too said spirits had, I may even have a copy myself, if I got off my lazy a$$ and looked...

hi all i have just come across a copy,i was talking to a chap at work about homebrew,and he showed me this manual,very old and discolored.
he told me off the same stories about Saudi.
that is how i found your post.
when i get some time i will get it photo copied then make a PDF copy of it.so i can share it.
please be patient
i'll get back to you
sean

hi all i have just come across a copy,i was talking to a chap at work about homebrew,and he showed me this manual,very old and discolored.
he told me off the same stories about Saudi.
that is how i found your post.
when i get some time i will get it photo copied then make a PDF copy of it.so i can share it.
please be patient
i'll get back to you
sean

Man out of the ashes of time this thread was revived. Great first post :ban:

It makes sense that the Arab American Oil Company would supply all those engineers and chemists with a primer on how to make hooch. Can't have those boys teetotaling their whole hitch overseas.

Great first post in a 9 1/2 year old zombie thread! Welcome to HBT!
Thanks - I used to be a member many moons ago but have no idea what my original account name is. Came across this thread while searching for said booklet. I grew up over there and this was a staple at house parties. Fast-forward a few decades... I demoted myself from homebrewer to brewery owner about 6 years ago, and we just got approved to go into distillation. Been wanting to do this for a while, if for no other reason just nostalgia. I would like to say I have fond memories of it, but the drawback to having 180-proof juice is that memories are hard to come by.

I used to be a member many moons ago but have no idea what my original account name is.
If you remember your partial member name, or something, or a thread you remember you posted, you can search for those. See if it jots memory.

Also, there's nothing wrong with starting out fresh. ;)

Congrats with your demotion! Makes us a little jealous. :yes: :yes:

Latest posts

Back