My DIY Tap Handles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewSpook

Reaction score
SWMBO got me a Haier 2 tap kegerator for my 30th B-Day coming up next week. I went on the search for tap handles and realized they are freakin expensive!

attachment.php

So I took a trip to Lowes and this is what I came up with... Let me know what you think.

2 3/8 Threaded insert
2 5/16 Threaded insert
2 Pine Plinth block (from trim section) these are the faces
2 6" Early American wooden legs
2 Drawer pulls (on top)

Total cost less than $20 for 2

I had on hand black glossy spray paint, wood glue, and chalkboard paint.

Sorry I didn't take pics throughout the build - but I can give a quick rundown.

First I rubbed them down with wood filler to fill in the cracks cause by the grain, let that dry a few hours and sanded it smooth.

Then I drilled a 1/2" hole through the bottom of the legs to fit the 3/8 inserts for the faucets.

Drill the 3/8 hole for the insert for the plinth block - this will allow you to change out tops... if you want to make a label for each of your beers and interchange them instead of using chalkboard paint.

Paint paint paint, drill hole for drawer pull, glue drawer pull and attached to kegerator. TADA! :ban:

IMG_1131.jpg

IMG_1138.jpg

IMG_1136.jpg

those are nearly identical to what I did. how did you do the bottom where it goes into the faucet? that is the biggest pain in the a** part. I couldn't get the drill to stay centered very well. even with pilot holes.

Those blocks are exactly what I'm looking for. Plinth is the word I guess. I was wondering what I was going to use. Thanks for this. Are they only finished with the border on three sides? Thinking of making a similar one but shorter.

Thanks for the kind words guys... I am pretty stoked to use these things. Since I wasn't set up for kegging and SWMBO wants to have beer flowing my my party next weekend I will be filling with SA Noble Pils and Rogue Dead Guy for next weekend. Gunna have to get some colored chalk to do the artwork.

those are nearly identical to what I did. how did you do the bottom where it goes into the faucet? that is the biggest pain in the a** part. I couldn't get the drill to stay centered very well. even with pilot holes.

The holes on the bottom were a big pain, what I did was clamp them into the vise on my workbench wrapped in a towel. I used a wood bit, it has a nice sharp point to dig in and guide and I went really slow. I still cracked the wood a bit putting the inserts in, but a little wood filler and sanding took care of the damage.

Those blocks are exactly what I'm looking for. Plinth is the word I guess. I was wondering what I was going to use. Thanks for this. Are they only finished with the border on three sides? Thinking of making a similar one but shorter.

Yeah they are only finished on three sides, they are made for trim around doorways, to be placed at the bottom. I like it because they give a bit more surface area for the chalkboard paint instead of losing that 1/4 inch for the border at the bottom. I guess you could also make your own and route a design on the edges.

FYI for anyone who does this... Best way to clean the chalkboard paint is with a damp piece of cloth, gives it back its dark color without smudges of chalk on it before you write something new on it.

great idea -- inexpensive, quick, relatively easy and they look great to boot. HOWEVER i found (the hard way) that if you have a 3-tap tower you have to knock 1 .75" off of the bottom of the block that you intend to use for your center tap... or else you might end up with some sort of beer rube-goldberg machine.

a little painters tape on either side and a relatively small-toothed blade on my little circular saw worked like a charm.

great idea, thanks!

OH -- and right next to the wooden legs at my lowes, they have these little 1-2" "toppers" (for lack of a better term) for < $1 each that look like a natural extension of the legs, that already have screws in them. that's what i used for the tops, looks great as well.

Got the material to turn down a couple of tap handles from 6061 T6 Aluminum. after machining I plan to anodize one clear translucent red and the other Blue with a pearl kind of sheen. Both will have mini chalkboards to identify whats on tap. Just drilled the first hole in the keezer last week, when I get the coin I will add the second one later on. I also found a killer deal on a stainless drip catcher tray for 17 bucks on Amazon with free shipping. Best price I have found on stainless goodies yet.

Wheelchair Bob

Back