Is it my water ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pghpi

Reaction score
I've been brewing extract and all grain for a number of years. Recently, I moved to a new area and bought a house. A few months ago, I began to start my brewing back up and started out with a few extract batches. Everything was fine.. no problems.

However, two weeks ago I started with a few all grain brews (lager and ale)and noticed something peculiar. Both brew took exactly four days to start bubblin'. I thought that I might have had a stuck fermentation issue, but after leaving them, they took off by themselves. Now they are running like gangbusters. I already had to rack the lager and everything seems fine.

The only difference (other than the obvious) between the extract and all grain was that I used spring water for the extract and tap water for the all-grain. I consulted with a local brewer that uses the same source water than me and he never had an issue.

Is this something to be concerned with and/or is there a fix?

Thanks for any responses!!

Cheers!

Dan

I used white labs for both of them. The lager and ale were stored at appropriate temps. That's what has me confused.

I used white labs for both of them. The lager and ale were stored at appropriate temps. That's what has me confused.

To repeat the question in an earlier post, did you make a starter? Using the so-called "pitchable" yeasts as is, especially with a lager can result in a very long lag time. Regarding your water, unless you give us the water profile ppm and your beer recipes with associated technique like mashing temps it is impossible to know if the H2O is problematic. However, I seriously doubt using the wrong water profile is somehow responsible for your extended lag time.

Back