Food Network

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeFlynn74

Reaction score
Well I am hooked- Its like History, comedy, travel channel.

Ive been watching Good Eats, Dinner Impossible, The Challenges, Diners drive ins and Dives, Big Guys Bites and Unwrapped is a fun show to watch things being made.

You should also check out NO Reservations on the Travel Channel. Anthony Bourdain is as fun to watch as he is bitter and smart.

+1 on "No Reservations," Anthony Bourdain is the best thing to happen to foodies in a long time. He possesses the perfect blend of knowledge, inquisitiveness, irreverence, humor and sheer enthusiasm. He's witty, opinionated and somewhat caustic, but also refreshingly candid and honest. I'd kill to have his job!

Mike, as long as you're getting into the Food Channel, look for Bourdain's older show, "A Cook's Tour." Similar format, but just a half hour.

I sort of preferred "A Cook's Tour" over "No Reservations" but yeah, some of the best food-centric tv right there :D

The old "Iron Chef" rocks.

Two words: Giada DeLaurentis!

I'm a big fan of No Reservations as well ..... Tony B seems like he'd be fun to get wasted with.

Edit: And I can't watch Dinner Impossible. His enormous biceps make me feel like less of a man.

Old-school Iron Chef rocks. Fine Living just started broadcasting it recently, The Bean and I cuddle up and watch it every night after dinner. The only show on Food Network I watch with any regularity these days is Good Eats; they used to have people like Mario Batelli (that his name?) that I liked a lot better.

My FAVORITE food show these days is Gordon Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares, on BBA America. I can't stand the Top Chef ripoff he does for American TV; the show he does inm Britain is awesome. Basically, he goes into failing restaurants and kicks their asses into gear. Very funny, very profane, and I love how he's always emphasizing just quality and freshness and railing against pretension.

For food-TV pr0n, though... you've GOT to seek out Nigella Lawson.

ck_nigella_1004+Z.jpg

I love Good Eats. A friend turned me on to that show, and I'm currently looking to find out how I can get copies of all of his downloaded episodes. 80 GB he says!

+1 on Giada.

I like Rachael Ray too. As perky as she is, I still think she's got a good attitude on food, and her recipes usually look very tasty. She could be my 30 minute meal, for $40 a day!

... And I can't watch Dinner Impossible. His enormous biceps make me feel like less of a man.
You won't have to see his biceps much longer. He's been canned! I've read they have found a replacement and will expand the show to one hour.

I like Nigella. Nice rack of lamb. Giada is all teeth and head on a stick - she is just a bit weird looking to me. I used to like that blonde they had on "How To Boil Water" - Jack something, but that show is gone.

I just started watching FoodTV again more frequently. I used to watch it all the time when Emeril was their headliner, then I got sick of him. It appears so did FoodTV as not only is he no longer the face of FoodTV but hes off entirely. He has a new show coming to Discovery Channels new channel on "green" topics. I think it is Planet Green or something. I also heard, but can't confirm, that Martha Stewart pretty much owns him, or at least the rights to all his products and even his television and show rights. My understanding is that he still maintains all rights and control over his restaurants.

I also miss Mario Batalli. He has some great recipes as does Alton Brown. You can't go wrong with most anything they do.

I've seen Molta Mario (or whatever Batalli's show was called) on one of our newer cable channels recently as well. It was probably Fine Living, like the old Iron Chef.

... Emeril was their headliner, then I got sick of him. It appears so did FoodTV as not only is he no longer the face of FoodTV but hes off entirely. ...
He's still on. They just moved Emeril Live an hour earlier so it isn't in prime time anymore. Used to like him, but he just got too overexposed, kinda like Rachel Ray.

Alton is still my favorite. There are a lot of shows now I just can't watch. All the Food Network Challenge shows are boring - I couldn't care less about watching someone make candy sculptures, as is Food Network Star. Ace Of Cakes is a show about a bunch of art-school drop out, 'non-conformist aren't we hip' losers that probably (hopefully) got beat up a lot in high school. Sandra Lee has a great pair, but I have no interest in making 'tablescapes'. Paula Deen and Tyler Florence are okay, but if they left, I wouldn't miss 'em. And Bobby Flay makes some great stuff, but he can get annoying pretty quickly.

Alton Brown is awesum if you are into the science of things, especially food. The episodic nature of his show is also refreshing as it is entertaining too.

Alton is cool but he seems just...weirder now-a-days. I don't like him on Iron Chef America....shave the beard.

Are they even making new Good Eats?

:mug:Alton made a smoker out of 2 clay planters, a hot plate and a pie pan along with the grill off his BBQ. Smoked a pork butt that looked delish! The smoker only cost 40$.

I love Good Eats. A friend turned me on to that show, and I'm currently looking to find out how I can get copies of all of his downloaded episodes. 80 GB he says!
I believe most, if not all of his episodes are on youtube.

I love Alton Brown and Anthony Bourdain is the man! Cook's Tour is showing on Food Network(?) again - I'm DVR'ing all episodes.

OK, so back in March (St. Pat's Weekend), I show up to work on a Saturday at my local Harrisburg brewpub and open the bar. Next thing you know, Chef Guy Mitchell (?) is there with a crew to film. He was filming a pilot for a show called Brew-ha-ha where he tours brewpubs. Apparently he was at Lancaster Brewing Co. the night before and was at Appalachian Brewing Co. (mine) that morning. First thing he does is interview a group at my bar who I poured a sample flight for. He then interviewed me about the beers.

So, since there's a Food Network thread... Keep your eyes out for it! He wasn't sure if the show would even get picked up, but at least this pilot (and me) will be on. Haven't heard anything since though.

... Chef Guy Mitchell (?) is there with a crew to film. He was filming a pilot for a show called Brew-ha-ha where he tours brewpubs. ... Keep your eyes out for it!...
Now there's a show I would pick as "must see TV"! That's cool, DubbelDach. Hope it gets picked up!:rockin:

My TV pretty much stays on Food Network, Comedy Central, and Discovery Channel. Except when I am watching No Reservations, Anthony Bourdain is the man.

You guys should check out the "Thirsty Traveler". The guy is a bit of a dork but he does go to some great beer cities. All you have to do is a search on your DVR and type in "Beer".

You guys should check out the "Thirsty Traveler". The guy is a bit of a dork but he does go to some great beer cities. All you have to do is a search on your DVR and type in "Beer".
I like that show, too. But I've seen them all. I don't think they have made any new episodes.

Speaking of Beer TV; There is a show on Mojo (that high def only channel) called Beer Nutz. They travel around the US and visit different cities looking for the biggest "beer nut" they visited Russian River, Anchor, and some other place last week; its a pretty cool show.

Speaking of Beer TV; There is a show on Mojo (that high def only channel) called Beer Nutz. They travel around the US and visit different cities looking for the biggest "beer nut" they visited Russian River, Anchor, and some other place last week; its a pretty cool show.

That is the same channel Three Sheets is on. I have never actually seen anything on there though. I'll have to check it out, sounds like they have some good shows.

Kevin,

Thanks for the link to three sheets, it was interesting.
You are correct, Zane is a tool. He reminds of the kind of guy I would go out with after work, tie one on and then tell everyone the next day at work how
goofy things got.

Just flipping through the channels and came across Paula Deen.

She took mac & cheese, cut it into squares, wrapped bacon around it, breaded and fried it.

Outstanding.

I've been hooked on Food TV since moving back to the States in '05. I love just about all of 'em:

Alton - learned a ton from him although some of it is a little suspect (ie: Good Eats: Beer)
Paula - I wish she was my mom
Ina - same, but in an uber high-class Martha's Vineyard kind of way
Giada - smokin' hotness IMO, even in her admitidly bobble-headed likeness; and the food looks really good
Cat Cora - ditto; plus she's quasi-southern
Iron Chef America - inspiring
Dinner Impossible - pretty cool, but I don't forsee putting anything I learn there to use
Tony B - both shows are awesome; I wish I were him, but with out the coke and heroine
Thirsty traveler - best job in the world
Bobby flay - grills a mean... well, anything.
Mario - never seen his show, but always a pleasure on ICA
Top Chef - yeah, it's on Bravo, whatever. Like Iron Chef (or more accurately The Next Iron Chef) but with zero class. Kinda like THIC+Jerry Springer
Tyler - love the way he does a different take on a traditional dish.
Nigella - very pretty, and attractive in that she deep-frys fat trimmings and eats them later - yum. However this has led to a bit of a ghetto booty. Not trying to be mean, just calling it like I see it.
Chiarello - have learned a ton for him and gotten a lot of party ideas.

Some of my less favorite:
Rahcael - I gotta say, her smiling at me everywhere from my TV to the Triscuit box freaks me out a little - have learned a lot from 30 min meals.
Emeril - love his food, but Emeril Live just isn't that entertaining to me; plus have you noticed that he's expanding at an alarming rate these days
Zane Lamprey - wow, what a *********. The antithisis (sp?) of Bourdain. Tony is out there communing with the locals, eating what they do, how they eat it, sitting on the floor, eating with his hands or whatever tools the locals do, really communing with their culture. Zane swoops in and wears a piece of flatbread like a hat. I want to b!tch-slap him every time I see him.
Marc Summers - I can leave this guy where he is, thanks, so I don't care for Unwrapped.

All just my humble opinion...

Focus

hrmm I dont see where you get this from

Where I get what from? The fact that he's an ex user or the fact that I don't want to be one myself?

From Wikipedia (quoting his own book):
"Adding to his untamed image, Bourdain is a former user of cocaine, heroin, and LSD. In Kitchen Confidential he writes of his experience in a trendy SoHo restaurant in 1981: "We were high all the time, sneaking off to the walk-in [refrigerator] at every opportunity to 'conceptualize.' Hardly a decision was made without drugs. Pot, quaaludes, cocaine, LSD, psilocybin mushrooms soaked in honey and used to sweeten tea, Seconal, Tuinal, speed, codeine and, increasingly, heroin, which we'd send a Spanish-speaking busboy over to Alphabet City to get."[13]"

Back