keggle question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhoyt714

Reaction score
Yesterday I decided that I would start my keggle project and it went great. Now I'am second guessing myself a little. I drilled 1/2 inch hole to adapt the 1/4 inch ball valve that I had bought. It drains a little slow, but thats fine. Anyways if I wanted to upgrade to a larger ball valve, I could use the 1/4 inch hole to adapt a thermometer or just leave it the way it is.

Any suggestions out there?

Just drill a 7/8" hole to make a 1/2" ball valve fit. Use a step bit to open the 1/4" hole ya already have..

I thought about that option, but I'am on a budget and the step bit was a costly $44 at Lowes.

Harbor freight has em cheap, there good for about 2 times...lol

I boughy the expensive one only cause i knew id use it for more than keggles...

Maybe some one ya know has one ya could just borrow..

true. So, would I be better with what I have or taking the chance to redrill?

true. So, would I be better with what I have or taking the chance to redrill?
Depends what your using the keggle for, if its a mash tun then...for sure a 1/2" valve. If your using it for a boil kettle should be fine. Just make sure ya get a good whirlpool and leave the junk in the center. Hops, and break material might get stuck in that little of a valve and or restrict flow to a just a trickle..

My Harbor Freight step bits are going strong after multiple uses. Just go slow and keep it cool. I just kept spraying water on it while it was cutting.

Back