old extract?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Packman715

Reaction score
A buddy of mine bought some amber extract at a garage sale and gave it to me. It is in a heavy plastic bag and looks good. The use by date is November of 2008. Do you think it is still safe to use?

As long as it isn't moldy it should be ok. but it will make a bit darker beer & the flavor will likely be different. Not bad,but different. Check out my Summer Ale recipe/pic as an example.

As long as it isn't moldy it should be ok. but it will make a bit darker beer & the flavor will likely be different. Not bad,but different. Check out my Summer Ale recipe/pic as an example.

x2 Darker and not the "kit" flavor advertised on the package. I made a batch like this a long time ago and it was fine! It's not going to be unsafe as long as you boil and I don't think anything unsafe can survive the fermentation process.

Anyone? Fermentation renders most every batch safe to drink (not saying GOOD to drink, but safe) right?

Thanks guys some time soon I will be using it to up the gravity of a beer to add body and sugar content which we all know what that makes. :mug:

Gonna go for a "Knock You to Your Knees Amber Ale" 11 lbs of grains and 3 lbs of extract.:drunk::drunk::tank:

I bet you it would have been good to use for yeast starters. Although I'm not sure how much amber LME has been used in that manner.

Latest posts

Back