Roku + Hulu = NFL?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Airborneguy

Retired and Brewing
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
We're thinking about canceling our FiOS. Any other NFL fans out there who've done this? I'm nervous about losing my games. Are there any other services besides Hulu for watching NFL games using a Roku?

OTA will only get me two teams I don't like! Damn, I had a feeling that was my only option. Has anyone used NFL rewind? Supposedly its a small fee and you get to watch any game once the game is over.

You might want to check out PlayOn. You have to run it from a PC with at least a 2Ghz processor, but you can get a lot of channels you wouldn't otherwise. It's worked with games on ESPN3 for me, but I haven't tried ESPN.

I can run PlayOn on my laptop and stream the feed to my Roku box, which is nice since I don't have to mess around with hooking the laptop up to my TV.

mragin, thanks for the PlayOn suggestion, it looks very interesting and we're going to check it out more later. I like the fact that it doesn't require Roku since I already have a PS3. Does the $19.95 per year cover the content or do you need separate accounts with Hulu, Netflix, etc.?

Why not do free online streaming? Everyone should have a PC hooked up to their TV now a days anyway.

You need separate accounts for Hulu, Netflix, etc. The fee is just to use PlayOn, which sucks. They have big sales pretty regularly though, and if you wait (maybe until Black Friday/Cyber Monday) you could probably pick up a lifetime license for ~$30.

Of course, you could always run those Hulu/Netflix/etc. accounts like most people: [ame="http://www.collegehumor.com/video/6848173/the-secret-of-hbo-go"] HBO Go [/ame]

let me just say respectfully not an NFL fan, but I am expectantly waiting on my Roku which god damn UPS has let me know they posess.

I am really hoping that it will let me watch NCAA

I have a playon license .. it is ok.. but it doesnt work very well at all.. After all, it is a middleware app that is relaying streaming data. Not ideal.

I have found an easy solution that works very well.

Buy an android pc for $30 - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008BFXOZE/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

and a wireless keyboard (or use another usb keyboard/mouse if you have one)
There is a nice one paired with the android pc on this page for $30.

Plug that bad boy into the hdmi of your tv, subscribe to gamerewind and VOILA! All the gamerewind goodness easily on the big screen. The wireless keyboard/touchpad make controlling things a breeze.

I literally plugged mine in, logged in, installed gamerewind android app from the market, and had it streaming in 5 minutes. AWESOME!

Lifetime PlayOn license is available for $40 today: LINK

This is a good deal IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought some NFL Network shows were on Hulu, NFL games aren't.

I'm signing up for NFL Rewind when I drop my DirecTV on Sept 1. I don't mind watching the games a day late. I've been DVRing them for the past couple years anyway.

Rumor has it that the DirecTV Sunday Ticket exclusive deal is going away when the contract is up at the end of the 2014 season. That will allow the NFL to allow subscriptions for live streaming like MLB & NBA do.

let me just say respectfully not an NFL fan, but I am expectantly waiting on my Roku which god damn UPS has let me know they posess.

I am really hoping that it will let me watch NCAA

if you have an XBOX360, the ESPN app streamed a crap load of NCAA games..

If you are unable to get Direct TV the new Madden game comes with a code that allows you to stream the Sunday Ticket, but I think you have to be physically unable to get DTV. I also think that it may only be available through Amazon. I am not sure about this, but it might be worth looking into.

You have to have an infernal TimeWarner cable subscription (or similar) to do espn3....nearly made me see red.

If I had cable, why the eff would I need to stream games?

? i don't have cable and am able to use ESPN3...but maybe cause i'm in Alaska and we operate by our own rules? lol

Yep, just checked again. Do they offer cable there?

OK smart people, how do I make my ip address look alaskan or some such nerd crap?

;)

.....will try again! lol.

You can stream some content without the cable subscription, you just have to keep trying and figure out what's available. I use my brothers Comcast login info on my xBox to access more content on the ESPN app and also to use the Xfinity app to watch on demand content on the xBox as well. Maybe you know someone who isn't using an xBox and you can use their login.

Yep, just checked again. Do they offer cable there?

OK smart people, how do I make my ip address look alaskan or some such nerd crap?

;)

Proxy servers. Just gotta find one in the area you are trying to make it look like you are surfing from. Of course you may find you are buffering more as the information needs to go there then to you before watching.

Back