When to use a blow off tube?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrEggSandwich

Reaction score
Hey hey! Happy brew day....

My question to you this beautiful morning is:

-When should one use a blow off tube?

-What factors come in play play here? (Carboy size, yeast type, OG, beer style).

I have a 6.5 carboy, and I plan to brew the "Wild Dog Days of Summer Ale" from the recipe section. Using WLP001 with a starter. OG of 1.063.

Do some use it every time?

I just use one all the time, after having to clean up one time because I didn't, that was enough for me.

I use mine pretty much every time. For me the deciding factor is usually the volume. I sometimes do small beers so the carboy is only 1/2 to 3/4 full so I won't put a blow off tube in.

It's just a habit or best practice for me. Sometimes it turns out that I didn't need it but I would way rather have it that way than the other.

I've used a blow off tube once. I think it was in 2006. But that was the only time I've needed one. Others use one each and every time!

Headspace is the main reason. I have some big "ale pails" that are over 8 gallons, with a very wide headspace. Since I usually make 5.5 gallon batches, and I usually keep the fermentation temperature no higher than 66 degrees, I tend to not get very explosive fermentations.

If you're making a 5.5 gallon batch in a 6 gallon carboy (or even a 6.5 gallon carboy), a blow off tube is probably a great idea!

Each fermentation is different. I have high gravity brews just chug along and nt need a blow off and had low gravity beers go crazy and blow off like crazy.

It is just so easy to start every one off with a blow off tube that I just do it out of habit.

Better safe than sorry. It is cheap insurance. Mopping the ceiling is something that I really don't want to do.

Use a blowoff tube with this ale. I have cleaned beer off my ceiling, so I know. Gunk gets up into the airlock, blocking the escape of carbon dioxide, and then you have a successful missile launch. (Don't tell the North Koreans.)

I don't always use a blowoff tube, but I brew mostly lagers, and some of the yeasts are notoriously slow-moving.

Unless you have some really big fermenters like Yooper does (8+ gallons), use a blow off every single time. You can't predict a blowoff, and there is absolutely, positively, no downside to using a blowoff tube. Really.

Cheers! Pez.

I'd never used a blowoff tube, until I had a blowoff. Now I use one every time.

Yeah, the general consensus is always use a blowoff because there is only one possible downside that I've heard of, and that is that it can be "awkward" to move a bucket and a blowoff tube at the same time. That's it.

Use a blow-off every time. If you get into the habit of doing it, it really is not much extra effort than using an airlock. And the day you see kraeusen crawling up the tube, you will be thankful that you did it.

Use a blowoff tube for EACH AND EVERY fermentation! As already mentioned, each fermentation is slightly different. My wort ferments in an unused bedroom...NOT a place where beer should be spewed! After 48-72 hours, I change to a regular airlock. Far better to be safe than sorry.

glenn514:mug:

Always, if you pitch too warm or have a small headspace you will blow the airlock, from my limited experience, just better safe than sorry.

Can remember the name, but I use a product that comes in drops. I drip a couple in my fermenter and no blow off needed

Can remember the name, but I use a product that comes in drops. I drip a couple in my fermenter and no blow off needed

Don't be so sure. I use FermCap religiously, and still use a blow-off. FermCap doesn't seem to do anything for some of those Belgian yeasts.

Just wait; it will happen one day.

I woke up this past saturday to the picture below. It was my 21st batch & 1st clogged airlock. I will now be using a blowoff tube from now on...

ForumRunner_20120416_215510.jpg

P.s. Old rasputin clone racked on top of Small Batch Creme de la Cream Stout.

Well I used ti be in the camp of I brew 5 gallon batches in a 6.5 gallon Carboy so I'm fine. Guess what I was really wrong head space is NOT a deciding factor, my last 3 batches have blown off big time an I was lucky enough to walk in each time and catch it in the nick Of time to throw a blow off on it. These were not mystery bathes or anything special just oxygenated well and pitched the proper amount of yeast and whala blow off. So I have adopted from here on out always always always use a blow off for the first 3 days regardless of anything better safe then sorry.

I always use a blow-off tube. Even then I've had to clean up a batch or so.

I just brewed the Wild Dog Days of Summer ale a couple weekends ago. Should be bottling next weekend!

Use one everytime. The first time I actually used a blow-off tube I needed it. Stuff went all the way out of the tube and into the container I had the water in. Now I use one all the time. All you have to do is buy 3 feet of 1/2" ID tube (I believe) from Lowes for like $.50 and you're done. Take the airlock apart and stick the tube in there. It works well.

Kevin

Brewed up a "Phat Tyre Amber" all-grain clone yesterday...and I'm really, REALLY, R-E-A-L-L-Y glad I always use a blowoff! I would have had fermenting wort all over the place! The fermentation was extremely vigorous, with some krausen foam in the tube itself. It's calmed down now, but it would have been a major cleanup!

glenn514:mug:

I used to use a blow-off tube but the tube plugged once and exploded anyway. I started using the airlock, but just setting the lid on the bucket without snapping it down. Haven't had a wild fermentation since I started doing this, but it should work OK. I think it would just gunk up the swamp cooler tub, but that should be easy to clean.

I always thought they should sell lids with multipe airlock holes. One bucket with multiple airlocks. Or big fat airlocks and a bigger hole.

Even though it hasn't often been necessary in my 6.5 Gallon carboy I am using a blowoff tube every time. My tube is not a exact fit, so I seal the top by wrapping it up with cling-wrap soaked in sanitizer then secured tightly with tape. I install an air-lock when it is racked to secondary.

I use one all the time now. I brew 5 gallon batches in 7.5 gallon fermentation buckets and I haven't had any issues with head space so far as I can tell but I figure, why take the risk? So I put a blow off tube on everything I brew.

I always thought they should sell lids with multipe airlock holes. One bucket with multiple airlocks. Or big fat airlocks and a bigger hole.

Interesting idea. I guess you could just drill a 3/8" hole and pop in a grommet or something.

I always do primary fermenting (5 gallons per) in a 6.5 gallon carboy and I have never needed an airlock.....until I started to pitch yeast starters. I have had an airlock fill with krausen, I promptly changed to a blow off tube.

Just this weekend I checked one of my carboys with a Cream Ale and the krausen had pushed the airlock right off the carboy, while the other carboy with the same Cream Ale (10 gal batch split between 2 6.5 gal carboys) only had an inch of krausen in it. I changed both to blow off tubes and will be using blow off tubes during primary from now on.

Back