coffee stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schweitzer22

Reaction score
I brewed a coffee stout a week ago. After 4 days I added third cup of course coffee beans. Today I racked it to a secondary. I took a taste of it and it tasted a bit like pepper. I know its very young but I didn't get any coffee hints. Will this mellow out over time? Thanks.

Pepper notes are a possibility of using coffee. It depends on what type of coffee you used. The most popular would be sumatra or kona for their flavor profiles. Keep tasting every day, as the beans can over power the beer in some situations. If you still dont get the flavor profile you like, brew some coffee and add it in. It would be a good idea to pull a pint of beer from the fermenter, and add the coffee (preferably from a coffee press) a little at a time to find the best ratio of beer to coffee. This technique can also be used with other spices, hops, and mint. Some call this cheating, its up to you.

When I did my coffee stout I added a cold brewed coffee to the secondary after 3 weeks in the primary. It turned out to be one of my best beers to date and was only the 3rd or 4th I had brewed.

Back