sugar in cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeast nutrient is neccessary, unless you have fresh, unfiltered cider. Sugar will just boost the ABV.

I have just about finished my cider, I took 5 gallons of regular apple juice(without any additives from the grocery store), minus a tall glass to quench the thirst, added 2 lbs brown sugar, 20 oz pure maple sugar, and the yeast is still working after 3 weeks, Im about to bottle in the next few days.
From what I have experienced you do not need nutrients. But I also did a starter 1 day before pitching. Its up to you.

I used 5 gallons pastuerized, 4 lbs of brown sugar and champagne yeast, but no starter. Turned out very dry and very strong. I don't think you need nutrient.

McGrath Brewery said:
When making cider do you need sugar, or can you just use yeast nutrient?
Traditionally (and it's still done in some places) cider was made with JUST apple juice and the WILD yeast growing on the apple skins. I assume you're NOT trying that method.
Nutrient will ensure your yeast gets the best possible start. They aren't expensive and will probably be available where you buy your yeast.
As david_42 states adding sugar will just raise the ABV.

Back