Brewferm Diablo -- Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dismantle360

Reaction score
Well here goes my first posting.

I have done some reading and somewhat have an answer but figured I would ask around to get a consensus.

First has anyone tried this and whats it suppose to taste like (ie is there a commercially available beer out there like this.)?

Second I am thinking about boiling this but not sure if i should as I read that it can get rid of the hop aroma and fruit flavors (reason i asked the first question)?

Third I am trying to figure out if what type of sugar to use and want some info on the expected results for these sugars.

Belgian Candy
Corn Sugar
Brown Sugar
Table Sugar

If you're going with a no-boil pre-hopped canned extract kit, especially one with added sugar, it's probably best if you don't try to make direct comparisons with commercial beers. You'll almost certainly learn a lot and come out with drinkable beer, and you'll probably enjoy it greatly because you made it yourself, but it will probably be nothing spectactular as compared to a commercial example - I know my first batch wasn't. You would do much better to go with a recipe using unhopped extract, separate hops, no added sugar, and perhaps some steeping grains.

Also, it seems that the kit you mention is intended for making a high-gravity beer (8%ABV) - just as a word of warning, brewing higher-gravity beers is exponentially harder than lower-gravity ones because of all the extra care it takes to keep the yeast healthy and active. For that reason, it's generally better to stick to medium- or low-gravity beers until you have more experience.

Thanks this is the 4th batch of beer im brewing and its actually a step back from the parshal mash I did from the other 3 batches.

These are cheap compaired to extract, specialty grains, hops, and yeast all seperate as well as this being a test of sorts to see if they are any good.

I plan on making a starter for the yeast as well as using pure oxygen to properly oxygenate the wort before pitching the starter.

I was wondering more if anyones tried this stuff and what it would taste like.

I was also trying to find out how fermentable the other sugars are that I mentioned in the first post and what type of flavor's I would experience with it.

Thanks and if anyone out there reads this that can answer the questions I would apprecieate it.

All the sugars you mentioned are pretty much fully fermentable. In large quantities, any of them will yield a 'cidery' flavor. Corn and table sugar will give you little to no other flavor. Brown sugar, since it is just table sugar plus molasses, will give you some molasses flavor. Belgian candi sugar is basically caramelized table sugar (assuming it's one of the darker varieties), and thus may provide some unique caramelized flavor, depending of course on the color.

For what it's worth, I recently started a batch of Brewferm Triple, using clear Belgian Candy Sugar and a White Labs Belgian Ale yeast. I was going the 9-litre route, and since I needed to add about 1lb/1KG of fermentable sugar, I figured why not go with the real thing?

FWIW, I've had plenty of commercial Diablo's. Probably had about 50 or so in about 2 weeks once. Then a second time for a month...lost count.

They're Belgium and quite good tasting even with a higher than usual alcohol content.

I'd bet a dollar to a donut you won't get the same flavoring/color from a canned kit.

If you want to try it by all means go ahead.

Personally, I never recommend any brew to a brewer that they haven't at least tried some of the original. I just think it's counter productive. If you were/are really concerned about getting it right, if at least close, then how would you know if you haven't had any? ;)

When you say there Belgium and quite good I'm curious what that means?

Is a Diabolo Malty, Hoppy, Bitter, Smooth, Even tones, Light, Heavy, Sour, etc..?

Also if it was one of these and there was a commercial beer that I could go out and try before brewing the kit which would you recommend?

I realize that rarely if ever will a canned kit come out in a way that a commercial beer does (heck i have yet to have a clone that was close to the original).

I'm not asking if these canned kits are the way to brew I am fully aware that they are a beginner product and if you did a specialty grain and extract mix you would probably get a better product.

Any help or additional info anyone could lend regarding the initial questions that are not answered would be appreciated.

Never mind figured it out what the commercial examples are running to pick up a 4 pack right now.

Thanks for all the help Funk and guys have a great time brewing.

dismantle360 said:
When you say there Belgium and quite good I'm curious what that means?

Is a Diabolo Malty, Hoppy, Bitter, Smooth, Even tones, Light, Heavy, Sour, etc..?

Also if it was one of these and there was a commercial beer that I could go out and try before brewing the kit which would you recommend?

I realize that rarely if ever will a canned kit come out in a way that a commercial beer does (heck i have yet to have a clone that was close to the original).

I'm not asking if these canned kits are the way to brew I am fully aware that they are a beginner product and if you did a specialty grain and extract mix you would probably get a better product.

Any help or additional info anyone could lend regarding the initial questions that are not answered would be appreciated.
I'm glad that you are researching before brewing. For me it always adds more to the experiment.

I found them to be malty with a medium body and generally nicely carbonated (not like a pilsner).

I am guessing that this kit is trying to be close to Duvel. Duvel is a world class Belgian ale known for its high champagne like carbontion and immense rocky head. This is a great beer when you can get it. I'd say its pretty dry with a bit of a lingering malt finish, but is pretty well balanced.

Let us know how the kit turns out. I know the process for making real Duvel is extremely time intensive as it goes through multiple fermentations at varying temperatures.

This is in progress fermentation has started only one issue happened during the process and that was the plug falling into the new 3 gallon carboy after the yeast was pitched. Hopefully it comes out good will let you know.

Its all in the beer gods hands from here on out.

You should try it again, I have made the Diablo as well as Grand Cru and both were amazing! I am a fan of the Belgian style beers they are sweeter than other beers with a heavy malty flavor i like. Not too hoppy, and they have rich Carmel flavors. I have brewed many brands, grains, etc and these are the simplest and just plain awesome in flavor! I think people have to have tried products before you judge them. I do admit there are a lot of canned brews that are not so great but Brewferm makes something so much better!

BTW these kits are a lot cheaper than brewing the same batch from scratch yourself!

Yes listened and agree so much. I think we all have to bring new people to this hobby, LIFESTYLE! I love beer, I collect it from all over the world, I make beer, and I know beer. I want others to listen to this too!

I have never met a all grain brewer who partially germinates their own barley. The process is the same and most people don't grow their own barley, hops, herbs so why all the dissing????? let's just have fun and MAKE BEER and drink it!!!!!!

I have not tried Brewferm's Diablo kit, but I have made their Abdij kit and it was great!

Planning on trying the Diablo kit as maybe a 2.5 or 3 gallon batch. Can't wait :mug:

Never dump a batch after tasting it right after the bottling.
At 8% ABV and probably fermented at around 25°C it's gonna taste like **** for a long time. For anything belgian (excluding wits) 6mo is the minimum aging required.

I've made a couple of Brewferm kits, and I can say that they are top quality, but need to be aged a lot.

Also, leave it to ferment for 2-3 weeks, not the 7 days recommended on the package.

I can guess that the off flavors were green apples and yeast.

Back