What software do you use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheCookieMonster

Reaction score
Hey,

I need to buy beer software. I guess my preference is compatibility with other users.

Which do you use and recommend?

I use BeerSmith. Does everything I need it to do and probably more. Plus he's a regular here so if you have any issues you can address them with him.

Another fan of BeerSmith here -- once you get it dialed in it's VERY effective. I found it really added to my consistency from batch to batch.

Another Beersmith user right here. I used BrewPal twice on the iPhone, and I use it from time to time when I'm away from home to plug in ingredients and play around, but I use Beersmith when actually planning out and on brewday.

I just converted to Beer Smith from Pro Mash. I found a nice converter tool to make the transition a little easier. I also have BrewPal, but I have not used it for much of anything other than a hydro converter/refract converter.

Brewtarget since its free and rocks! Ya being poor this time of year kind of blows this year will be better!

Beer Smith, Beer Smith!

Just don't pay attention to the sparge temps and your golden.

Another mac user here. I prefer BeerAlchemy to BeerTools. I find it's more macish, simpler (I'm dumb) and the paired iphone app is nice for brew day so I don't have to run back and forth to double check the plan or kill trees.

My addition, though it's not technically software, is simply an Excel (also works for OpenOffice) template called Suds. The person who made this (for free! thanks!) also has developed some software, though I haven't tried it.

Brewpal for the iPhone.

I'll probably put beersmith on my laptop once I get my brewing area finished...

heh heh, heh heh.. You said iPhone...

Beer Smith, Beer Smith!

Expand on this if you don't mind.. I've not had issues with BS's temp calcs.

Beer Smith, Beer Smith!

I saw some of the subsequent comments and realize there may not be an actual problem with the sparge temps, but it does remind me of why I LOVE ProMash. While it's one of th eugliest interfaces out there (I feel like I'm playing King's Quest c.a. 1987), there is nothing you can not alter to reflect your system exactly.

ProMash all the way!

As far as I know, all of the software packages allow complete customization of the temps and vessel data. There's no way they would create software to compete with promash and then have it be crippled in some way.

In my opinion, the one major shortcoming for me in Beersmith is it's limitation on field sizes. The Notes (might be Taste Notes) field only has space for a couple of lines. It truncates my notes. I have to keep a journal elsewhere.

I wish there was a Notes tab for every recipe that I could store unlimited notes.

Another mac user here. I prefer BeerAlchemy to BeerTools. I find it's more macish, simpler (I'm dumb) and the paired iphone app is nice for brew day so I don't have to run back and forth to double check the plan or kill trees.

+1 to this, except I don't consider myself dumb... ;) I just prefer a cleaner interface, and Beeralchemy is about as clean as you can get :) . The iPhone version is great too!

As far as I know, all of the software packages allow complete customization of the temps and vessel data. There's no way they would create software to compete with promash and then have it be crippled in some way.

I think they would not intentionally design a product that is inferior, but there are definitely products (in general, brewing world and otherwise) that fall short of the performance of existing products. You see it everyday. There are plenty of reasons for it - some may find additional customization clumsy or cumbersome, some may not agree on its relevance to the overall performance of the product, or it may be left out in order to save on production/development costs/time.

I'm not saying these other programs fall short in this particular case (I honestly don't have enough experience with the others to say; at this point I have come to personally prefer ProMash for its detail and am willing to promote the product), but I do think it's reasonable to say that not every product that enters the market is equal or superior to its competition.

I use a spreadsheet that gives me everything I'll ever need. Plus, it's easy to update or change! It takes just a single sheet to keep track of a single brew. Easier to relax and have a homebrew that way. :D

Beersmith run through "Wine" on the mac. Don't ask how I got it to work, it is one of those things that I feel if I tinker with it, or try to see how it is actually work/set up, it'll stop running.

Unfortunately I can't print through Wine, and buying Windows and Parallel Desktop is out of the price range to run one application.

It's probably a toss up between Beer Alchemy and BTP. I've personally never saw Alchemy because I don't have a MAC. You might say the advantage of BTP is that it's cross platform.

I develop and use BrewBlogger for everything...recipe formulation, calculations, conversions, equipment profiles - the works. Everything is housed online on my website - I can access my installation from anywhere there is an internet connection. It's mobile friendly as well, so I can double-check my ingredients for a particular recipe right on my phone while I'm at my LHBS.

My club also uses the BrewBlogger club edition.

That said, I also have purchased BeerTools, ProMash, and BeerSmith and find BeerSmith to be the best desktop-based app for me. BeerSmith also exports files in BeerXML format, which I then can import to my BrewBlogger installation online.

I've been using Beersmith for about 4 years now and won't even think about changing, although if I did think about it, Geoffs BrewBlogger would be high in the running.

I run my copy off of my jumpstick, that way I can use it on just about any PC, but I always have my laptop with me anywhere I go to work on recipes all the time.

Back