Small batches for newbie learning curve

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike004

Reaction score
I'm a newbie with a couple of kit brews currently on the go.
I've been learning up on "proper" grain/hop brewing and am really keen to try out a few ideas as soon as possible.

I'm thinking about rolling out a few small experimental batches, 1 or 2 galls.

Pros: I'll get more brewing experience and quicker; greater variety of brews coming on stream over the next few months

Cons: Small batches more costly; sediment may be more of an issue during racking.

What do you think?

Mike

Go w/ 5 gallon batches. The recipies are for 5 gallon batches and if you scale them down you will run into prob. w/ your hops numbers. Plus 5 gall are very easy to work with.

AHammer16 said:
Plus 5 gall are very easy to work with.

Yes, I know.
But I'm using bottles at the moment....5 gall is 40 bottles.
A 2 gall brew of 16 bottles would be easier.

Mike

mike004 said:
Yes, I know.
But I'm using bottles at the moment....5 gall is 40 bottles.
A 2 gall brew of 16 bottles would be easier.

Mike

With a bottling wand, bottling is the easiest (and most fun) part of the process. You'll spend as much (or more) time making everything else, so why not finish it properly with a full 40+ bottles?

There's just something cool about telling people you have 5 gallons of beer on-hand.

Cheesefood said:
With a bottling wand, bottling is the easiest (and most fun) part of the process. You'll spend as much (or more) time making everything else, so why not finish it properly with a full 40+ bottles?

There's just something cool about telling people you have 5 gallons of beer on-hand.

Thanks, CF.
Re: your signature, asking for suggestions for your next brew.

Something dark -- Bohemian dark lager. I was in Prague earlier this year, the Kozel dark lager was sublime! I plan to try to brew it when I have a bit more experience.

Mike

Instead of bottles think about one of the "mini-keg" type systems that are out there. I have a Philtap, a Party pig and a Tap-a-draft. They hold from 1.25 to 2.5 gallons. One or two and your are done bottling.
All work pretty good and one of them should fit your needs and space.

Back