Folk and or mountain music

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ashz

Reaction score
Anyone else love this music? I have a good collection but am always looking for more. Problem is I can't find real recordings. I am talking the type of raw, real mountain music. Bluegrass is good, but there aren't many artists out there with what I am looking for.

Anyone seen the movie The Songcatcher? That is the type of old music I am looking for. There isn't a torrent site that I am familiar with that has anything of quality.

Any thoughts or input on this?

Smithsonian folkways (I think that is what they are called) recordings. The Lomax stuff. He traveled the country with a a "portable" tube powered recorder documenting it from the source.

This is somewhat of topic , are you a musician? I'm a decent guitar player, but I have a 3/4 octave vocal range. So I can't sing for $^#@. There are some awsome song books of early american folk music published in the early 20th century. There is this used book store I go to that has a multi volume (8 i think) collection, published in the 30's or 40's, of Ozark folk songs. If I could sing I would buy it, but since I cant it would only be decoration. Last time ther it was $300. Each volume was a couple hundred pages.

I love folk music, but not blue grass.

Smithsonian folkways (I think that is what they are called) recordings. The Lomax stuff. He traveled the country with a a "portable" tube powered recorder documenting it from the source.

That's what I was going to say.

Also Elderly Instruments in Michigan has a huge amount of cd, and recordings (plus an awesome selection of instruments) you can go online and request a music catalog here. Recordings - Elderly Instruments

They have a pretty varied selection of obscure acoustic and world music.

Like this one from the website. Betcha don't have it. :D

FA5179.jpg

BANJO: AN AMERICAN FIVE-STRING HISTORY 1901-56
2 CDs, 40 timeless classics of this uniquely American instrument! Sides from the earliest days of commercial recording through the '50s, a stylistic spectrum from ragtime and classical banjo, jazz, Appalachian and bluegrass: Fred van Eps, Vess L. Ossman, Uncle Dave Macon, Dock Boggs, the legendary Charlie Lowe, Will Slayden, Bascom Lamar Lunsford, Charlie Poole, Earl Scruggs, Pete Seeger and lots more. With photos and extensive notes in French and English. French import.
FA-CD5179 .. CD .. $24.95

[urlhttp://www.elderly.com/recordings/items/FA-CD5179.htm

Oh, what a great idea for a thread! I, too, love this music and recently got turned on to the Carolina Chocolate Drops.

I'll have to check out the online radio suggestion. I also use Pandora Radio - Listen to Free Internet Radio, Find New Music and LOVE it. You can put in your own artist/songs and it will find others like it, thereby making you a unique "station" that you can also share with other uses.

Worth checking out.

Back