My First Bottlebombs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whisler85

Reaction score
Somehow, up until this point I have managed not to have any bottle bombs.

At around 8 o'clock, I heard the noise- then I saw the beer leaking all over the floor of my bedroom.

Later, moving a case full of bottle grenades, the bottle fell out and 8 of them exploded at once, sending glass flying well over 20 feet (no joke)

Now that I have that experience behind me, I can say I'm a better man for it- cleaning it all up was hell

yup ,ya need to try and hit that final gravity mark they dont put them in da recipes for nuttin,bull

At least my batch of "grenades" was in the lagering fridge. It was a mess, but contained and in the garage.

did you figure out why? were they just not done fermenting or did you add too much sugar?

Wow! what a mess that must have been! I've never had a bottle bomb yet but just in case, I put my newly bottled batches in a big rubbermaid tub and leave them for two weeks before taking them out to make room for the next batch. I figure that if they haven't popped in 2 weeks, they are probably safe. So far so good.

Wrong idea! These bottlebombs were bottled a month ago or so, if not more. But i think that because it was poor attenuation, not overpriming, that caused the bombs, it took longer for the yeast to ferment the beer than just priming sugar

Back