scorched brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loopmd

Reaction score
I should be putting this in the nOOb section, because that's what I felt like after I brewed this batch a few weeks ago. Long story short....I scorched the crap out of my oatmeal stout. On brew day a number of things happened and I have never tossed out a batch before, but I almost did this one on brew day. Anyway...I didn't toss it, but just racked it to the secondary yesterday and it tastes like rotten @ss to me. It has a heavy smoky taste. (but great color and mouth feal...lol) Is there anything I can add to mask this flavor?

I thought about adding lemon juice at bottling, is lemon juice acidic enough to not ferment out?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,

Loop

LOL

Thanks for the "reply"

It is still sitting in the carboy. I don't have the guts to see what it is like yet and I have multiple carboys to use for new stuff.

Loop

Well it's not exactly the same but....
I scorched the milk making cheese once. The whole house smelled like burned milk, the cheese smelled like it. Aged it for a year (I usually do 6 months) and it didn't taste scorched at all. Best guess from me is set that carboy at the back of the closet and fuggetaboutit for a long time. Maybe you will end up with something great.

That's what I was hoping for. This thread reminded me that I still had it sitting and I just went downstairs and popped the airlock and gave it a whiff. It actually smells pretty good. I will give it a few more months and give it a taste.

Loop

Undrinkable. Just too scorched. I let it sit for about a year in bottles to "smooth out". Too smoky for my liking.

Loop

Undrinkable. Just too scorched. I let it sit for about a year in bottles to "smooth out". Too smoky for my liking.

Loop

Well, you can't say you weren't patient enough!

I've been lucky to never have burned/scorched my wort, I guess. I've had some boilovers that were amazing though. Did you know that 5.5 gallons of boiling wort in a keggle can boilover easily, and continue boilingover the entire time you're away? It surprised me, that's for sure! :D

Lol...ya yoop, it still pained me to dump it. I didn't go into detail 2 years ago, but that is exactly what happened...I went inside for a few minutes and came back out to find a HUGE boilover....needless to say I never have done that again!

Loop

My first brew (extract), I accidently let the grain bag sit on the bottom of the boil pot. Ended up scorching the entire pot.

I felt like a total n00b, but I was so proud of my first brew that I still drank the rancid stuff anyway. :D

Well, you can't say you weren't patient enough!

I've been lucky to never have burned/scorched my wort, I guess. I've had some boilovers that were amazing though. Did you know that 5.5 gallons of boiling wort in a keggle can boilover easily, and continue boilingover the entire time you're away? It surprised me, that's for sure! :D

Ironically my 1st boilover was in my keggle started doing other things clean up and what not walked back into the garage and well...I started to clean up in there to:)

Back