My first attempt at creating a recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StrongBad42

Reaction score
I'm wanting to make a nice IIPA with a good hop kick and nice pineapple/citrus aroma/taste. This is what I've come up with so far. Feedback very welcome.

Light LME - 9 lbs
Crystal 20L - 1lb
Light DME - 1 lb
Corn Sugar - 1 lb

Warrior 1oz - 60 min
Amarillo 2oz - 0min
Centennial 2oz - 0min
Simcoe 2oz - 0min

Amarillo 2oz - DH
Centennial 2oz - DH
Citra 3oz - DH
Simcoe 2oz - DH

I always add hops at 20 minutes for flavor. If you want pineapple/tropical, use Citra hops in the boil.

Where/How did you find Amarillo?

I'm wanting to make a nice IIPA with a good hop kick and nice pineapple/citrus aroma/taste. This is what I've come up with so far. Feedback very welcome.

Light LME - 9 lbs
Crystal 20L - 1lb
Light DME - 1 lb
Corn Sugar - 1 lb

Warrior 1oz - 60 min
Amarillo 2oz - 0min
Centennial 2oz - 0min
Simcoe 2oz - 0min

Amarillo 2oz - DH
Centennial 2oz - DH
Citra 3oz - DH
Simcoe 2oz - DH

Looks like a strong, hoppy beer!! Will curl your tongue.

Revised: does this look better? I just added some citra to the boil and took an oz off dry hop.

Light LME - 9 lbs
Crystal 20L - 1lb
Light DME - 1 lb
Corn Sugar - 1 lb

Warrior 1oz - 60 min
Citra 2oz - 20 min
Amarillo 2oz - 0min
Centennial 2oz - 0min
Simcoe 2oz - 0min

Amarillo 2oz - DH
Centennial 2oz - DH
Citra 2oz - DH
Simcoe 2oz - DH

Do 1 ounce each of Amarillo and Citra at 20. Then 1 ounce of each at flame out along with the Centennial and Simcoe

Light LME - 9 lbs
Crystal 20L - 1lb
Light DME - 1 lb
Corn Sugar - 1 lb

Warrior 1oz - 60 min
Amarillo 1oz - 20 min
Citra 1oz - 20min
Amarillo 1oz - 0 min
Citra 1 oz - 0 min
Centennial 2oz - 0min
Simcoe 2oz - 0min

Amarillo 2oz - DH
Centennial 2oz - DH
Citra 2oz - DH
Simcoe 2oz - DH

That's an insane amount of hops to dry hop with. It may end up tasting like vegetable matter, and it definitely will be very hazy.

Better?

Light LME - 9 lbs
Crystal 20L - 1lb
Light DME - 1 lb
Corn Sugar - 1 lb

Warrior 1oz - 60 min
Amarillo 1oz - 20 min
Citra 1oz - 20min
Amarillo 1oz - 10 min
Centennial 1oz - 10 min
Citra 1oz - 10 min
Simcoe 1oz - 10 min
Amarillo 1oz - 0 min
Citra 1 oz - 0 min
Centennial 2oz - 0min
Simcoe 2oz - 0min

Amarillo 1oz - DH
Centennial 1oz - DH
Citra 1oz - DH
Simcoe 1oz - DH

I also plan to pitch two packs of safale us-50

That is going to be a hop bomb. Are you using a recipe calculator like beersmith? That will always put you in the ballpark, but once you're there you'll have to brew it several times to get it to your tastes and hammer out the kinks.

Good luck!

also going to cost you about $85 or so with the extracts you are using. Beersmith comes out to 1.080 OG, 8.7 % ABV. 79.4 IBU, 10 color

Wow man. I think you're going to try to dissolve more iso-alpha acids into your beer than can actually be done. I think I read somewhere that beyond 100 IBUs (maybe 120) you're beer actually becomes saturated with iso-alpha acids. I applaud your love of hops.
I would use caution when dry-hopping that much hops. You can get grassy flavors from dry hopping, and with your hop bill you might just be making grass beer. Might be worth a try though. Who knows, maybe grass beer will be the next big IIPA thing.

whoops, edit: didn't see you only had one hop variety with a full boil. Your IBU level will be fine, but man, that is going to smell like a hop. No beer smell. Just hop. lol

At least keep it to high alpha hops and a short contact time. You can put them in the secondary with a sanitized hop bag and hang it from the bung with a long string of dental floss with a weight tied to the bag. Just use any stainless fittings you already use to brew like a fishing weight.

Back