Die yeasties die!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EHRod

Reaction score
Hi Guru's,

Long time reader, first time poster...

I'm working on my fist batch of Cider. After much reading of HBT i decided to try something simple;

5 Gal - pasteurized 100 % apple juice w/ vitamin c. (Sun-Rype)Western Canada)
2.5 Tsp Yeast Nutrient
1 package (11g) Nottingham yeast
OG - 1.050 @ 74 degrees (3pm - 8/25/12)
FG - 1.010 @ 70 degrees (9pm - 8/30/12) aprox. ABV (5.3%?)

tastes great, very light apple flavour similar FG as Blackthorn or Strongbow, but much better flavour even though it's obviously very young.

here's the question;

I want to halt the fermentation today, cold crash on saturday and rack to secondary on Sunday, but i'm getting crossed messages on how much of K-Meta and K-sorbate to add?? i don't want it to dry out any further as the taste is where i want it.

Can anyone recommend on how much to add that will impact taste as little as possible?

Cheers, :mug:

EH-Rod

Can you just keep it at fridge temps? If it's sealed up nice in the fridge, it'll last for months and not dry out. Of course provided that you racked it carefully, have the space... and don't drink it next week;) I don't add chems to my ciders and just keep them cool and drink or share when I need more room. I don't have input about using chems but with your nice choice of yeast and a nice simple recipe, everything should stay tame.

my 'standard' doses for preventing further fermentation for example after cold crashing and racking are:
0.12 g/L k-meta, which is 0.6 g per 5L or 1/10 tsp per 5L. i do this by serial dilution of a freshly made stock solution rather than try to weigh the tiny amount
1/2 teaspoon k-sorbate for 5 L (i don't like the tsp/volume measurement for solids, but there it is. never weighed it out. my sorbate is the shape of chocolate sprinkles.) i gather that's the lowest standard concentration. some people can taste it at that concentration though.

i should say, i have stopped using them, if i'm kegging i just keep it cold (after cold crashing, racking to keg), and if i'm bottling i bottle from the keg and then pasteurize the bottles at 65 for 20 minutes

i noticed you were going to add the chemicals first and then cold crash, by my math that's backwards

other reference stuff that might be useful: from my measurements on a proper balance, 1 tsp k-meta powder is 5.5g
1 campden tablet is 0.44 g
to get 100 ppm sulfite, you need:
1/8 tsp in 1 gallon
or 181 mg per L

If my math is correct the approximate dose should be for 5 Gallon (approximately 19 Liters) is;

1/2 Tsp K-Meta (rounding up)
2 Tsp K-Sorbate (rounding up) - i have the same chocolate sprinkle type as well.
Does that look right?

PS - you are correct about the backwards cold crash and racking. I got into a couple glasses of laphroaig quarter cask last night....mixed things up a bit.

I'm planning on purchasing a 4.4 CuFt fridge from Costco tonite (DAR125BLSS) the same that so many have decided to turn into kegerators. I think it should fit my 6 Gal Carboy for cold crashing (it's a taller one like this one from midwest: http://www.midwestsupplies.com/6-gallon-glass-carboy.html)

After I add my chems I plan on letting it mellow for a few weeks (4 perhaps?) till i get my kergerator built and to let the young alcohol mellow out a little bit. Then it will go on tap...and then i have to figure out the whole kegging thing... :)

PS - you are correct about the backwards cold crash and racking. I got into a couple glasses of laphroaig quarter cask last night....mixed things up a bit.

well that's fully understandable! i'm quite partial to islay whiskies myself, as evidenced by my collection. have you had the laphroaig 18? it's butter

22.jpg

23.jpg

I haven't tried the 18. Bowmore 12 is my 'standard' but also enjoy a Lagavulin 16 from time to time. I'm assuming your are a friends of Laphroaig as well??

haha yep, that's why i'm suckered into buying the cairdeas bottlings every year, i can't resist. also ardbeg, my favorite 'production' whisky is probably ardbeg's uigedial (sp?). laph 18 gives it a run for the $$ tho. if you ever get the chance to visit definitely check out ardbeg, they look after the visitors and pour judiciously, and they ham it up a bit. they let us sip off the hose when filling barrels as well. lagavullin didn't give a toss that we were there, and laphroaig was luke warm to visitors. all 3 are walking distance from each other.
how's that for off topic!
anyways- happy cider drinking!

Back