Do you let IPA's breathe before drinking??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillTheSlink

Reaction score
I had never tasted an IPA until yesterday. Where I live they don't sell single bottles and I usually don't go to bars, so I didn't want to risk investing in a six-pack at the prices the locals charge due to our punitive pricing laws. Anyway since a Biggs opened up they got a permit to sell single bottles and have a limited selection of singles. Since I do like some bitter beers, such as Canadian lagers, I thought I would try an IPA. I chose a Christian Morelein Northern Liberty along with a six-pack of Salvator I got to start a Lenten tradition of my own with. Anyway, when I got home I opened the IPA and took a swallow from the bottle and YUCK! It was like drinking perfume. I then poured it into a glass and let it sit for a while and the perfume smell taste melted a bit. I still wouldn't buy or make this but are IPA's made to air out a bit before drinking? Is it supposed to taste like flowery perfume or was this just something odd with this brand?

Many IPAs will evolve quite a bit as they warm up. I usually drink pretty slowly (I can nurse a pint for an hour), and I really enjoy how it changes during that time.

The actual aroma/flavor profile depends mostly on the hops that were used. Most American IPAs, especially west coast examples, are citrusy, piney, resiny or dank. There is a lot of flavor diversity.

IPAs (American, English, Imperial, Facemelters, Etc.) should be poured into a beer glass (as all beers should) to allow the head to form and release the aroma and carbonation that is trapped durning conditioning. Good IPAs have a melding effect on the palate and nose. bad IPAs bitter the mouth and flare the nostrils. though many peopel have developed a taste for IPA, i don't know many that have LOVED them the first time. they have to kind of grow on you. i would suggest a little lighter IPA, Sam Adams 48 Latitude or Noble Pilz. Bells Two-Hearted Ale, your local retail store should be able to advise you on a lighter IPA.

My first experience with IPA was from Big Sky Brewers, (can't remember the name but it has an antelope on the bottle) HORRIBLE!!!! swore off IPAs for life. then tried SA and Sierra Nevada's Tornado. Haven't looked back and i sometimes can even taste the hops when i am really craving a beer.

best of luck and don't give up completely on IPA

Many IPAs will evolve quite a bit as they warm up. I usually drink pretty slowly (I can nurse a pint for an hour), and I really enjoy how it changes during that time.

The actual aroma/flavor profile depends mostly on the hops that were used. Most American IPAs, especially west coast examples, are citrusy, piney, resiny or dank. There is a lot of flavor diversity.

Now I could do with piney. It is all I can do not to drink the Pinesol when the floor is being mopped. And yes I mean that. Any suggestions on what to try?

If you like piney then try a stone IPA. It's one of my favorites however, as stated earlier you may want to start out lighter. Maybe a Longhammer IPA.

"risk investing in a six-pack"

It does sound like a risky investment. What was your personal rate of return on that investment?

I always drink IPAs from a glass, and always let them breathe. Let it sit in the glass for 2-3 minutes and you're good to go.

IPAs taste gross right from the bottle, IMO. The flavors don't flow properly.

always drink GOOD BEER from a glass. allows nose to get in the glass and smell the malt and hops. taste is a large % smell.

Bells Two-Hearted Ale is a BIG beer but highly addictive, price point is not low, but it's one I truly enjoy. Dogfish head 60 min is a good starter too, 90 min is a Double IPA and a big beer. takes some getting used to but once you stun your tastebuds wow is it nice. definitely one that needs a breathing time. not sure if you can get any of the sweetwater brews from GA but 420 extra pale ale and their IPA are both nice. (I thought 420 was an IPA before going to website fair amount of hops

"risk investing in a six-pack"

It does sound like a risky investment. What was your personal rate of return on that investment?

I usually always have the desired ROI of drinking a six pack. Good taste and a nice buzz are the two main factors that I have diversified into with my portfolio.

always drink GOOD BEER from a glass.

Bingo. The only beer I'll drink from a bottle is the fizzy yellow stuff. Anything else gets served in appropriate glassware. The way I see it is if I'm gonna spend 10+ bucks on a nice bottle of beer, I can spend a few more bucks and get the appropriate glassware to serve it in.

The risky investments are those dang $15 4-PACKS. Especially if they are really tasty and are gone in just a few hours. Bell's makes some of those high dollar tasty brews!

Hockeyhunter99 said:
IPAs (American, English, Imperial, Facemelters, Etc.) should be poured into a beer glass (as all beers should) to allow the head to form and release the aroma and carbonation that is trapped durning conditioning. Good IPAs have a melding effect on the palate and nose. bad IPAs bitter the mouth and flare the nostrils. though many peopel have developed a taste for IPA, i don't know many that have LOVED them the first time. they have to kind of grow on you. i would suggest a little lighter IPA, Sam Adams 48 Latitude or Noble Pilz. Bells Two-Hearted Ale, your local retail store should be able to advise you on a lighter IPA.

My first experience with IPA was from Big Sky Brewers, (can't remember the name but it has an antelope on the bottle) HORRIBLE!!!! swore off IPAs for life. then tried SA and Sierra Nevada's Tornado. Haven't looked back and i sometimes can even taste the hops when i am really craving a beer.

I hope that Big Sky IPA didn't ruin your perception of Big Sky Brewing, even though I agree with their IPA being sub-par, their Moose Drool and Trout Slayer are amazing.

Also how did you find out about them? Are you from MT?

not from MT, but ND. my dad and i were big into sampler packs a few years before i started brewing. we would each get one for a fishing weekend or hunting weekend hanging out and sample a couple. i have not tried their IPA again and most of their stuff is sub-par to me but i haven't tried a moose drool in a while. maybe this weekend i will pick up another sampler of theirs.

Taste buds change

God, I miss MT and the Dakotas. I unfortunately live in Taxachusettes now (don't ask how I got here, long story) but I definately recommend those two as well as Dancing Trout. As for a good IPA, I would go for a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale or their Torpedo.

^Winchendon, no less. Bet you have a sweet furniture set though. hahaha

Torpedo is definitely good. Unfortunately I seem to be allergic to something in it. =/

Lol, I wish. I just started college after EAS'ing from the Marines, so I don't have ****

always drink GOOD BEER from a glass. allows nose to get in the glass and smell the malt and hops. taste is a large % smell.

Being new to brewing I did not know this until about 4-6 months ago when I started researching it. So I gave it a try and took two bottle of the same beer and put one in a glass and let it sit for a few mins and popped the top on the other and drank a few sips from the bottle.

When I drank the one from the glass I noticed a lot more flavor. I have to say I never want to drink from a bottle again.

As for letting it rest I like to take a sip almost immediately, but then give it a minute or two to settle down. It seems to taste better that way. Of course I could just be drinking to much and it's all part of my imagination. ;)

I hope that Big Sky IPA didn't ruin your perception of Big Sky Brewing, even though I agree with their IPA being sub-par, their Moose Drool and Trout Slayer are amazing.

Interesting. I like their IPA and I'm not a fan of Moose Drool. I agree with you on Trout Slayer though...

Interesting. I like their IPA and I'm not a fan of Moose Drool. I agree with you on Trout Slayer though...

Haven't had Trout Slayer. Moose Drool isn't a bad session beer but it isn't something I crave and I like their IPA. There are other IPA's I prefer but I wouldn't hesitate to drink one.

Hmm, how fresh was your Big Sky IPA? I was quite happy with the 6 pack I had last year (and, yes, think the Moose Drool is pretty good!). But when it comes to hops and variations/tastes, to each his/her own! I'm not going to say you're wrong, hahaha.

But yes to concur with others: beers ALWAYS from some kind of glass if you can. Stick your nose in (it is not unheard of to get foam-nose) and enjoy those aromas. ESPECIALLY on an IPA (or Belgian). I believe a good IPA general serving temperature is 42-46 or so.

Remember, COLD beer really limits the taste profiles. Coors Light is marketed COLD for a reason...

And welcome to the IPA enjoyers club!!!

For a good solid typical IPA, I would suggest the one by Brooklyn Brewery. If you want some variety and save a few bucks, pick up a Brooklyn Brewery variety pack if you can get one.

i wasn't really into looking into what beers were or how fresh they were. we were trying to broaden our palates with different types and a sampler is a great way. i was really big in to heavy, dark beers like guinness and murphy's but have now moved towards the pale ales and IPAs. like i said before, i might just have to grab another Big Sky sampler and give it another go. never hurts to try it again and see the difference homebrewing has on the taste buds.

I always use a glass for beer drinking unless I don't have choice. Most IPAs will have some sediment in the bottle that you may or may not want to drink so I opt not to pour the last 1/4 to 1/2 inch of the beer if this is the case.

Temperature is also an issue. The family fridge upstairs is too cold at 37F for my taste (for beer). I have a separate mini fridge that I keep my beer in at around 45F. This is a nice temp for most lagers, pale ales, IPA's, English bitters, Saisons and the stuff I like to drink. Porters and stouts I like to let "warm" a bit more to around 50-55F to reveal some of the complex flavors.

I like the piney IPA's vs the grapefruitey ones. Simcoe (piney earthy) vs. Cascade (citrus fruity) for example.

+1 on the Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and DFH 60 Minute. If youre looking for low price point and an "entry IPA" try the Lagunitas IPA or Bear Republic Racer 5. I can find both 6 packs in Cleveland for $7.99 or so. They are still IPA's so the hops may punch you in the nose at first but pour em into a pint glass and give them a chance. Ohio (Cleveland at least) has a great selection of top quality IPAs.

In my experience, I've gotten many of my friends to like hoppy beers via imperial IPAs, specifically Dogfish Head 90minute. The heavier malt background of an imperial is more inviting to the lupulin uninitiated.

sierra pale ale and Torpedo are great examples. and two of my favs. New Belgium Ranger also. boulders cold hop too

i better just stop.

Mmmmmmm......moose drooL. Been awhile since I've enjoyed one of those. There was a Ranger IPA thread recently that reminded me to go an get a six of that! So many beers..............:drunk:

Sam Adams is a wonderful beer. As the OP said, some IPAs do literally taste like out-takes from a perfume factory - but Sam Adams is nothing like that.

Latest posts

Back