What commercial yeast to use for SN Kellerweis 'clone'?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slider46

Reaction score
I'm trying to decide between WL320 and WL300.

The SN Kellerweis tastes rather clean compared to other wheat beers I've tried so i'm not sure if the WL320 should be used rather than the WL300. Then again, isn't the Kellerweis a German wheat to begin with?

Also, I assume one of the WL vials is enough for 5 gallons? I'm doing 2.5 gallon batches.

It's a German hefeweizen yeast from a small commercial brewery in Germany, your best bet is culturing it from the bottle AFAIK none of the normally available strains is all that close.

If it were me, I'd just culture the yeast from a bottle or two of kellerweis. That's what I've done in the past for beers with unique yeast strains (the last one I did was North Coast PranQster) and it's worked out well.

Culture the yeast from the bottle. It's a unique strain. Cultures very easily. Try and get as fresh bottles as possible. They put the dates on their boxes.

I've done it and tried several times to get something similar to kepperweis, but failed every time. Really disapointed with the yeast. I understand they use large shallow open fermenters which helps create some of the flavors from the yeast. I get close, but it's sort of boring.

I've given up with it. Good luck on your attempts.

Back