Taste bad after shaking corny

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjc8870

Reaction score
I kegged my first brew brown ale and got impatient. I had it carbing at 12 psi and was going to let it go for about a week. After a few days I tasted and it was beginning to taste good.

Well I got impatient and jacked up psi to 30 and shook the keg vigorously. I attempted a pour later that day and I got no beer flowing. I opened keg and noticed the poppit was clogged with sediment. I cleaned it out and the keg began flowing fine again. I tasted beer later, and each pour has some sediment. The main problem is the taste. The beer now tastes very yeasty and I guess bitter.

Will this beer settle and the sediment drop to bottom? Will this beer taste lose the bitter yeasty taste? I am a bit disappointed I messed with the keg causing this problem.

Thanks,

Mike

Let it sit... You can basically use a corny as a brite tank. Make sure you put the pressure back to serving pressure and give it a few days to settle. Then pull off a pint to get some of the sediment out of the bottom, second pint should be rather clear.

Think about your fermenter. You see all that crap in the bottom there? You have a similar profile of stuff in your corney, just less of it.

It sits on the bottom and is usually poured off on your first couple pulls, but since you shook it up, you redistributed it all. Leave it alone for a week or two and you will be golden after the first 2 or 3 pints.

Alot of the first pulls I get off a keg are "yeasty". Thats the sediment in the bottom of your keg. Shaking it simply undid the work of settling. Leave it alone. Don't shake it. Don't overcarb. I know it's hard...but by trying to take short cuts you usually end up taking longer.

Forced carbonation changes the pH of the beer quickly and as people have mentioned, you've mixed in all of the yeast. Set it aside for 3 days and check it. The first pint or two will still be yeasty.

There are ways to speed up the process, but none of them are simple or easy.

Back