Orange Peel and Coriander shelf life

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hughes_brews

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am brewing a Belgian Wit this weekend and have plenty of orange peel and coriander left over from last year. Both came in zip-lock pouches and I have kept them in the fridge since last year. Should these still be good, or should I pick up some fresh stuff when I go to the LHBS on Friday? I didn't see any "Best if used by" label on the packages.

With spices the fresher the better, especially for ground spices. I would personally go with freshly grated orange zest, and fresh cracked corriander if you can. Make sure you have high quality coriander as well, it should smell citrusy or fruity (not vegetal), Indian stores are a great place to get it. A bit of chamomile is a nice addition as well.

If the Coriander is still whole, it should be fine. If you cook, you often hear two years storage for whole spices, and that doesn't necessarily assume you're keeping them in your fridge. Once you crack or grind though, all bets are off.

It's also possible that the new stuff you be would be no different than what you have (it's harvested only once a year).

Back