is 60F too cold to pitch WLP001? Aiming for 67.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mandoman

Reaction score
So I OVER chilled to 50F with my cfc - WTF, right? Anyway, by adjusting the flow rate thru the cfc I ended up with two 6 gallon carboys with 60F wort in them. I'm planning on waiting til morning to let them warm up to 67ish before pitching as they are in 67ish ambient now. What's your call on whether it would be okay to pitch low at 60 and let it warm up til tomorrow. I'm using two starters (one per each 5 gallons) that are about 67F.

I like to ferment WLP001 as cool as I can, so I'd pitch at 60 and let it warm up, as long as the yeast starter is about the same temperature as the wort. I would NOT pitch warm yeast into a cold wort, though.

yooper! I'm flattered you responded to my thread and so quickly! I'm sittin' here debating it. My gut tells me the heat of fermentation will warm it up any way and the gradient is so small. Thanks.

Pitching yeast at 50 should be fine: it'll be a slow start, but they'll wake up as the temperature rises. I'd definitely try to get the yeast in there sooner rather than later: the longer you leave you wort sitting around before pitching, the more chance for unwanted visitors to move in while the yeast are absent.

What I wouldn't do, though, is pour 60 degree yeast directly into 50 degree wort. A sudden temperature change will shock them. I'd put your yeast vial back in the fridge for 20 minutes to let it cool more gradually, then pitch once it is the same temperature as the wort.

Just make sure they are about the same temp and pitch. They will come around as the temp rises..... As if all of that hasn't been said already...

I pitched a WLP001 slurry into a 64°F wort and it is in my basement at 56°F. I pitched it at 7:00 last night and when I woke up it was bubbling through the air lock. The fermometer says its 60°F in the bucket.

I just has a very successful ferment, pitched US-05 at 62, temp dropped to 60 overnight and got up to 64 during high krausen. It tastes great (hydrometer sample) with no hot alcohol and no harsh notes. Not bad for a 4 week old 1.100 - 1.012 beer :)

I may quit brewing from June - August if this keeps up.

I pitched that same yeast this weekend into 50 degree wort, it fermented STRONG for 2 days after taking about 24 hours to get going.

My last two brews i've kept on the lower fermentation temps and they have tasted phenomenal. I wouldn't worry.

You typically want to ramp up anyways. 60 is a bit cool, but if you let it ramp up naturally to 67, I bet you'll get a really clean, fantastic fermentation. If it's not too late, get that yeast in there!

Back