Wort transfer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

havokczl

Reaction score
I do BIAB, and I generally pitch my yeast at the end of the brew session like most do when the wort has cooled after 20 min of chilling, and I know that some brewers will let the wort sit overnight in a heavy duty plastic container & pitch the next day.
On a previous brew session, I cooled with my immersion chiller as I usually do, and I let the wort just sit overnight in the bucket without pitching the yeast.
The next day, I transfered/racked the wort(off the excess trub) into another bucket, aerated & then pitched. Was I ok for doing that? I figure the principle is the same as letting it cool overnight, but does it matter if its pre-cooled & sitting at pitching temp. overnight? I didn't much care for how it turned out, and I'm attributing it to the yeast.(WLP400) But could I have added more insult to my injury by not pitching my yeast from the get-go?

I would say it's an "either, or" situation.
You either chill and pitch right away or let sit overnight to chill then pitch the next day.
If you went ahead and chilled you might as well have pitched right away.

That being said, I don't think you would get any off flavors by waiting unless it was an infection.

I do most my batches with an immersion chiller and pitch right away but on occasion I have let the wort sit overnight and haven't noticed any difference in the flavor.

Back