Question to the ladies on valentines day...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CreamyGoodness

Reaction score
Im bringing my wife to our favorite Japanese restaurant tonight. The chef, coincidently, also sharpens knives.

Is it in poor taste to bring my chef's knife to be sharpened, killing two birds with one stone? Does the act of bringing a chef's knife to the restaurant kill the romance?

I would personally keep the knife on the DL....take it back to be sharpened on your way to the Men's Room. ;) I know my wife would consider it less romantic if I tried to kill 2 birds with one stone...on our V-day dinner!

Although as home brewers we are very practical people who learn to do things ourselves. Sharpening knives is not rocket science. I good sharpening wet stone kit with diamond finisher and a steady hand is all you need. I used to sharpen all the kitchen knives in the restaurant I worked back in College.

I agree. The guy is super cool to begin with. He was a sous chef under Morimoto, and decided to open his own place in Astoria. One year we wound up having thanksgiving there (both sets of family were out of town) and we were the only people there. We complimented the food and the service, and he turned bright red with embarrassment (apparently its not very Japanese to accept compliments). He put a pint of Sapporo in front of me (on the house) and literally ran away. While we were waiting for the check he had the server bring us little bags of potato chips... not sure why... but we never forgot it. Ha!

1. Do not forget Vday

2. When you do forget Vday do not tell her the honeymoon is over because she will remind you you have only been married 5 months.

3. Consider extra padding on the couch because it looks like I might be there awhile:D

No, that's fine!

Of course, Bob and I are practical people and of course don't celebrate "greeting card holidays", like Valentine's Day. Or birthdays. Or really anything now that I come to think about it! :mad:

I seem to remember pictures of oysters and cocktails... I was immediately struck by how you and Bob seem to have your own brand of romance :).

Does the act of bringing a chef's knife to the restaurant kill the romance?

If you're bringing a dull knife, then no. Romance is only properly killed with a freshly-sharpened chef's knife (and sheet plastic, garbage bags, a boat; we've all seen Dexter enough times to know how it's done).

No, that's fine!

Of course, Bob and I are practical people and of course don't celebrate "greeting card holidays", like Valentine's Day.

I feel fortunate to be with a girl who also feels this way. I have never been a fan of this "holiday", and I have had more annoying experiences than positive ones as a whole.

That doesn't mean that I was able to skip sending cards to my mother and grandmother. But at least I'm not on the hook for expensive flowers, dinner, etc.

Or birthdays. *Or really anything now that I come to think about it! *:mad:

Not even birthdays!? That's a perfect opportunity to get some new brewing stuff!

I seem to remember pictures of oysters and cocktails... I was immediately struck by how you and Bob seem to have your own brand of romance :).

I told Bob you said that, and he said "EXACTLY!"

His words, "Put Tom Waits on the stereo, give her some oysters. That's all you need". :cross:

He makes me laugh, I'll give him that.

I would casually mention the knives before you go. You could say, "those knives need to be sharpened, but we should bring them another time.". Wait for response. BTW love Valentines day.

I guess it depends on how practical she is. If she's the romantic type, then the killing of 2 birds may land you in the doghouse, as the night is supposed to be all about the relationship and nothing else.

If she's practical and understands that you need to have knives sharpened, then go ahead and get them sharpened.

We're not one for holidays for the most part. I don't see the point of this holiday in particular, as you're supposed to value and love your spouse every day.

Update: I told her where our reservations were and she got rather excited. I then mentioned the knife thing, and she said "oh, lets not worry about it on valentines day". So I didntbring the knife in. I did have a wonderful valentines day though :-D.

Since I'm taking my wife to TC for a Valentine's WEEKEND I declined to get her anything the day of. Of course I got a 6-pack and a card from her...

So she brought out a little red velvet cake that she bought on discount and handed it to me and told me to give it to her.

Hey, at least I had my daughter pick something up for her!

We stedilly outdid each other on vslentine's day & swetest day. One year she bought me a new strat. I got her a marshall half stack. Not to mention flowers,candy,dinner &...
I remember one time,after building this house,I came home from work on valentine's & she was in a red lace neglige & had a fancy dinner layed out around the room. And my red velvet smoking jacket at the ready. Crab stuffed flounder for one as I remember.
This year,behind on a couple of bills killed it. I gave her a hug & happy valentine's day. She completely smiled at that one & reciprocated. Now that's love & understanding. But,like the Browns,next year y'all,next year...:ban:

So you haven't gone to the place yet? I would have dropped the knives off ahead and just picked them up on date day, after....That way you get them done, and there's no drama about it.

So you haven't gone to the place yet? I would have dropped the knives off ahead and just picked them up on date day, after....That way you get them done, and there's no drama about it.

That would have been a masterful plan... had I thought of it ;). We had our date night there, but I was asked nicely to not bring the knife... so I didnt :). I'll probably walk it over sometime this week.

Actually... maybe I should bother airborne to make sure I'm not mistakenly breaking any laws walking it over...

Back