Larvae in my Lambic Dregs - Videos, Pictures [Gross]

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamjackson

Reaction score
Looks like I made a mistake when trying to get a 750ML yeast starter going off a range of lambic dregs. This starter was initiated in June and I covered saran wrap over it. I then moved it to a 750ML bottle and added some apple juice to invigorate more action while adding some more dregs from other lambic beer.

2 weeks after doing that, I'm checking on it and the pellicle that was there a few days ago has gone away.

This is what remains:

:ban:

8119985644_c8369a8115_c.jpg

8119985940_d04d2feaf0_c.jpg

8119986196_da97f3b688_c.jpg

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wDyaU04vzI&feature=youtu.be

Here's the noob question though, these dregs do well with a healthy supply of oxygen. So, how do I get that healthy supply but also keep these critters out?

I've had the airlock open on my berliner weisse in the same room for about 3 days. Guess I should go look at that for similar issues. And honestly, if I seal this up, they'll just die, right? Then I can just rack on top of the dead larvae? Seems like it would work.

For the oxygen, a foam plug works pretty well to keep things out but still let air pass. Although I would have thought the saran wrap would have worked as well. Maybe saran wrap and foil so you can clamp it down over the edge, keep them nasties from getting inside? If you do decide you want to try to save it (you brave soul), I'd just run everything through a cheese cloth to filter out the bugs/eggs. Toss it into a new sanitized bottle and let it go some more, I guess?

adamjackson said:
Here's the noob question though, these dregs do well with a healthy supply of oxygen. So, how do I get that healthy supply but also keep these critters out?

I use coffee filters and just swirl whenever I see it.. I would chalk this up as a fail and start over!!

:eek:
Thanks for sharing!

Welcome. I've seen tons of threads of people mentioning these but none with photos. Figured the extra steps would be appreciated and hopefully not vomit inducing.

Maybe I'll keep this one around and take photos in a week as the maggots grow?

I had maggots get into a batch of lacto-fermented peppers. It was one of the grossest things I have seen in my adult life.

Now I put a tea towel or a coffee filter (basically any semi-permeable cover) over the top and affix it with a rubber band. That seems to work.

I say screw it. Toss it into a mini batch and see how it turns out. The alcohol should kill off the critters when it is done fermenting. :cross:

I had little critters just like that living in the outside nooks and crannies where the crown/head of a little 3 gallon oak barrel meets the walls. once I realized there were a few there I thoroughly cleaned the exterior of the barrel with vinegar and paid better attention so that wouldn't happen again. I drank the beer and I'm still here!

I had little critters just like that living in the outside nooks and crannies where the crown/head of a little 3 gallon oak barrel meets the walls. once I realized there were a few there I thoroughly cleaned the exterior of the barrel with vinegar and paid better attention so that wouldn't happen again. I drank the beer and I'm still here!

Just FYI

Fruit Flies and many other critters like it are attracted to the smell of fermentation, so they are attracted to the smell of vinegar.

Its why vinegar fruit fly traps work so well, and are nice to have around when your fermenting, so they go towards them and drown rather than towards your airlock(presumably to drown, sanitary, but still gross to think about)

QUESTION OF THE DAY:

Aside from the growing pool of cash betting on me drinking this, what about my open carboy I had? I'll just have to keep an eye on it. Already affixed an airlock to it to avoid any future contamination + a few sprays of diluted star san but if larvae have already infiltrated, I may be screwed? Or can I just rack below the infestation of flies in January and drink away this gorgeous beautiful Rhubarb berliner weisse?

Back