best sorghum hidden recipe you have?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dooman333

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
What's is the best GF homebrew recipe you have? With most of my emphasis on hiding the sorghum taste. Gotta buddy wih an intolerance that digs homebrew. Help would be much appriciated.

What's is the best GF homebrew recipe you have? With most of my emphasis on hiding the sorghum taste. Gotta buddy wih an intolerance that digs homebrew. Help would be much appriciated.

An IPA or APA is the best way to cover the sorghum flavour. These type of beers are based more on the hops.

What kind of beers are you looking at making? Ales? Lagers? (non)Whitbeer? There's plenty of recipes out here, or we can help put one together. Any particular flavors that you want? Hoppy? Chocolate? Fruit? Coffee?

For me about a month of resting seems to take away a good chuck of the metallic hint that sorghum seems to have. My last batch was a strawberry blond and it seemed to do the trick for me.

Made my first Gluten free beer, actually first home brew. Turned out great. Basically Sorghum extract, 2 oz hops, honey. Actually looking to expand with adding Millet, rice, and buckweat. Was curious if anyone had any idea on how much of the above I need to add.

Got a gluten intolerant buddy that goes pretty heavy on the honey and late hop additions to hide the sorghum taste. After a few brews you'll find that without some serious changes, all your sorghum brews will taste relatively the same. I am as well looking for some solutions for him.

Greens Belgium Brew consist of Millet and rice. Tastes different whn added to Sorghum. Trying to figure how much Rice and Millet extract to add

At a minimum I roast Buckwheat and millet and soak them in the water before I bring it up to a boil. Buckwheat gives off a more nutty taste and I usually do anywhere between 1 and 4 lbs of roasted buckwheat and millet. I also use a bit more hops in just about every brew that I do.

If you have more time, I suggest you malt your own grains. I malted a few lbs of buckwheat and used that in conjunction with the soghum syrup and the beer turned out really well. Depending on how much you roast the grains, you can add color to your beer. For stouts I almost burn 4 lbs of buckwheat and seep in the water before the boil for an hour (I also add coffee as well so that helps with the stout color).

Sorghum beer is one of the traditional African styles of beer making.

So this is a very crude recipe by western standards

So I just spotted this product (KING KORN) in one of our local stores down here in here in Africa. Its malted sorghum that is mainly used in african beer for traditional events.

I bought 2 bags today and im trying it out now.

So here is the recipe. I haven't tried it (some people say that its pretty rough(I'm going to deviate a bit from the traditional path... and go with a bit more of a European approach on some points))

Add 10 liters of boiling water to 2kg of Maize Meal (a rough Corn Flour not syrup)
Add 1 kg Amablel-Mabele (MALTED Sorghumn)

Mix well let cool over night. (Apparently it goes sour...)

Next day cook for 1 hour.
add 5 liters of cold water leave to cool (temp not specified)

Add 1 kg Amablel-Mabele (MALTED Sorghumn) to cooled mixture and leave overnight.

Strain the mixture the next day and leave to ferment.

OK now this is where it gets interesting.

There was no yeast additions in African beers so most traditional brewers just let it ferment naturally...

However we have traditional brewers yeast available in our grocery stores so im just going to bu one of those.

Traditionally it is served after 2 to 3 days in a calabash (a plant with hard fruit that are dried out and used as containers in africa)

Im going for a full 3 week fermentation and bottle conditioning.

See soon

Back