acquired kegs on craigslist and 2 are full! could they be drinkable?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lknbigfish

Reaction score
i acquired three kegs from a lady on craigslist that bought them at a restaurant auction. two of them seem to be full and the kegs look brand new. they have been stored outside for several months and no other info is known. one is a sierra nevada and the other miller.

what are the odds they are any good?

Pretty low. On the other hands the odds that they still belong to Sierra Nevada and Miller respectively is about 100%.

You could pour a glass and find out. You never really know what is in it though, and would definitely be safer just to dump.

You'll never know until you try. What's the worst that could happen, you have a sip of nasty beer? It won't kill you.

Unless the kegs are filled with poison. Then it could kill you.

Pretty low. On the other hands the odds that they still belong to Sierra Nevada and Miller respectively is about 100%.

so you are a property law expert? kegs were at a restaurant, restaurant went out of business and auction was posted publicly, said companies had a state mandated period of time to claim goods before auction. kegs not claimed, kegs sold!

Google it. Magic 8 ball. Perhaps a soothsayer, such as a tarot card reader, or a fortune teller can look at the lines on your hand and just "know".

Or you could just taste it. For god's sake.

Quoted and copied to my sig with credit to you - the first thing I have read on the Internet that actually made me laugh out loud in a long , long time ....

Good score on two kegs? How much were they?

I use Craigs List all the time, to buy and sell. I recently bought 5glass carboys for $70, three 6.5 and two 6.0.

Good score on two kegs? How much were they?

I use Craigs List all the time, to buy and sell. I recently bought 5glass carboys for $70, three 6.5 and two 6.0.

i didnt get that great of a deal, 3 for $200 but I needed 3 and didnt want to drive all over for one at a time although i probably could have gotten them for $40 each in this area.

so you are a property law expert? kegs were at a restaurant, restaurant went out of business and auction was posted publicly, said companies had a state mandated period of time to claim goods before auction. kegs not claimed, kegs sold!

haha!

That is like renting a car and leaving it in your garage when your house is foreclosed on. The bank can't just sell the car...

if the rental company is given notice to get it, and they dont come get it, then they can sell the car.

but seriously, how did the beer taste?

rental cars and beer kegs are like apples and oranges.

potato.jpg

Just a note, it's not always beer in the kegs you buy second hand. My kegs were full when I bought them too. Only difference is that they were full of sanitizer. Lucky for me the former owner told me that it was sanitizer, no need to taste that.

What I would do: Refridgerate said kegs. Put the co2 to them and purge kegs, let them sit for a week at 10 PSI, then pour into a clear glass, smell, then taste if smell is good.

Do we know the beers were stored airtight? Who knows if they ever saw a hand pump or something else to introduce O2. Or they could be really old batches that saw extreme temperatures.

Do we know the beers were stored airtight? Who knows if they ever saw a hand pump or something else to introduce O2. Or they could be really old batches that saw extreme temperatures.

They would have had to have seen a light pump to get skunked.

they were stored outside, I would guess extreme temperature swings + several months old = yuck

rental cars and beer kegs are like apples and oranges.

They are actually the same under property laws, but that still means the OP obtained those kegs legally and they are 100% his.

To the OP: if you only tasted the Miller then I think it's suppose to taste that way ;)

Seems like you can't mention anything on this forum about acquiring kegs without some troll popping in to voice their 2 cents on illegal acquisition.

I posted a couple of questions about a rubber coated Miller keg that I got from craigslist a while back and had the same result of my thread turning into a debate over whether I acquired it legally or not.

Back on track though, the Miller keg that I bought was similar to the OP's in that it was a few months old and Co2 stored. But the beer inside was absolutely foul smelling. Certainly nothing that I would've even considered trying to taste.

Seems like you can't mention anything on this forum about acquiring kegs without some troll popping in to voice their 2 cents on illegal acquisition.

That's why it is best to just steal the kegs from little old ladies after they are passed out from their kegger, that way there is no question on if it is "stolen" or not.

I posted a couple of questions about a rubber coated Miller keg that I got from craigslist a while back and had the same result of my thread turning into a debate over whether I acquired it legally or not.

That's not true. Nobody has ever given me a hard time about the kegs I purchased new from Sabco.

I could agree that the Miller would probably be pretty bad (and perhaps you might not even be able to tell much difference...doesn't Miller have some skunkyness as part of it's usual, fresh flavor profile?) However, the other was a Sierra Nevada keg...could be something that could still be good, if not potentially awesome...does the keg say exactly what beer is in the keg? For all we know, it could be Bigfoot barleywine!

That's not true. Nobody has ever given me a hard time about the kegs I purchased new from Sabco.

Key word there is "new"... ;)

Mention buying one from Craigslist or someplace similar though and you're automatically the bad guy regardless of how the seller acquired it.

Thats time that could be used buying stereo equipment out of the back of a van.

I guess I shouldn't pick on guys that are so poor they have to resort to grey market equipment purchases.

According to Boulevard they only have a few tens of thousands of dollars in kegs stolen a year. Serves them right for only charging a $30 deposit and other completely unsound reasonings and justifications.

...doesn't Miller have some skunkyness as part of it's usual, fresh flavor profile?)
Miller uses tetrahops which don't skunk when exposed to light, it's why they can package in clear bottles and not have it smell like Corona.

I guess I shouldn't pick on guys that are so poor they have to resort to grey market equipment purchases.

Awesome. Probably the first time I've been called poor for pointing out a troll. Sad fact is I've never bought a keg and don't agree with people buying them either. Most people only learn after the fact the keg is illegal so stop being a dick, explain why the brewery still owns it instead of doing one line hit and runs.

Latest posts

Back