A scale for hop & priming sugar measurement

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctorRobert

Reaction score
Anyone have a cheap scale they can recommend? From walmart or amazon or something? I'll be using it to measure hops, and priming sugar. If it's large enough to measure grains too (could handle a couple pounds) than that would be great too, but the 5lb scales ive seen wont work well with measuring an ounce or half ounce.

Thanks

I only have one, a basic digital scale I got for 20 bucks at target, it does grams, ounces, and up to about 4-5 pounds (or more but I can't recall).

I have no trouble measuring everything including my grain for all grain..

Most kitchen scales these days measure in some amount of poundage.

Head shops and eBay have cheap digital gram scales for measuring hops and other aromatic green vegetation, as well as brewing salts and other white powdery substances. Here's the one I got for about ten bucks:
280-ESU-BLACK.jpg

Head shops and eBay have cheap digital gram scales for measuring hops and other aromatic green vegetation, as well as brewing salts and other white powdery substances. Here's the one I got for about ten bucks:
280-ESU-BLACK.jpg

People need to measure other aromatic vegetation beside hops???? I usually just measure my oregano by the tablespoon. ;)

+1 for the Pocket jewelry scales cheap and accurate

280-ESU-BLACK.jpg

Escali Primo scale has my vote. Goes down to the 1/10th of an ounce and up to 11lbs. $25 with free shipping on Amazon. Great deal.

I have this:
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=120843

1/8 oz on low end leaves some accuracy to be desired when measuring down to 1/8oz. But that is hardly what holds my brewing back. 11 lb capacity. I mostly use it for baking bread. I had a salter that I didn't like, and it broke after 1 month.

I have the same scale in my kitchen/brewery. I have had no issues with it. If you're worried about accuracy in smaller measurements (all measurements for that matter), measure everything in grams.

Anyone have a cheap scale they can recommend? From walmart or amazon or something? I'll be using it to measure hops, and priming sugar. If it's large enough to measure grains too (could handle a couple pounds) than that would be great too, but the 5lb scales ive seen wont work well with measuring an ounce or half ounce.

Thanks
I bought one at Harbor Freight - Cen Tech brand (#93543); 500gram capacity (17.54oz). Can set to read grams or oz; has a zero/tare function, i.e. put the container on scale and set the readout to zero. don't remember what i paid but knowing me, not much. I use it to measure hops and sugar.

I have the same scale in my kitchen/brewery. I have had no issues with it. If you're worried about accuracy in smaller measurements (all measurements for that matter), measure everything in grams.

exactly! My scale (Pelouze SP-5) measures as low as 1/10 of an ounce or 1 gram. Since there are ~28 grams in an ounce I usually wind up doing my priming sugar and high AA% hop measurements in grams instead of ounces.

If you wind up going to a store to buy a scale make sure you put eyedrops in and wear your best birkenstocks and tie-dye t-shirt....you'll give the employees a great laugh when you leave :)

Back