Whirlpool Immersion Chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcrabb22

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I used my IC whirlpool chiller for the first time this weekend. I didn't time the cooling performance with exact precision as I got distracted getting the March 809 pump primed but rough estimate had 11 gal from boil to 65F in around 35 min using 57.7F tap water. The best thing about it was being able to put a lid on the kettle and walk away to do other chores. In the past I would grab the IC and move it around in the kettle to help speed the cooling.

The downside was having to clean the pump and hoses since they are new additions to the process. I need to make a hose that connects to a faucet via the pump quick disconnect to flush the hoses and pump more quickly.

I use the JZ whirlpool as well it works great. I still leave my lid off until I get down to at least 120F. I use the More beer stainless quick disconnects which makes things a breeze.

bumpin this, i just made a whirlpool IC... can't use the whirlpool part until i get a pump, but do you guys find it makes the trub settle in a cone on the middle so you can minimize the transfer of it into the fermenter? and do you send the whirlpool into the middle of the chiller or on the side of the kettle?

Re: cleaning the pump & lines; just recirculate cleaner through your whirlpool setup. I save my hot wastewater for this purpose. After hosing out the kettle I'll reconnect the pump & wort return and cycle this hot water & PBW through the system for a few minutes. The kettle can also be used as a wash tub at this point. After draining out the PBW I'll run clean water through the system to rinse it out.

Re: the much sought-after trub cone.. I get more of a short mound in the middle with the entire false bottom having a thin layer of crap on it. The chiller wrecks any kind of fast whirlpool but the false bottom takes care of filtering out trub. The main benefit of the "whirlpool" is keeping the wort in motion w/o human intervention.

I do a whirlpool too. I pump from the kettle to a closed heat exchanger, then back to the kettle.

When I am done, I have my 10 gallons of cooling medium sitting there, I pump 5 gallons to the kettle, heat it to 140F, add OxiClean and recirculate through my system.

I then drain, and pump the remaining 5 gallons to the kettle, heat to 140F and add Star San, I recirculate this for a time, then drain, voila.

The main benefit of the "whirlpool" is keeping the wort in motion w/o human intervention.

for sure, i was just curious about gettin' some trub out. also, i don't use a false bottom, i think i'll have to try the stainless scrubby again on my dip tube, last time it clogged.

do any of you let the wort sit for a period of time to settle after you reach your desired temp?

I always let it sit for 15 minutes after reaching pitch temp. It allows the break to settle out some.

The whirlpool / IC combo works great.

I let the wort sit for about 20 mins after cooling. I also adjust the pickup in the kettle so that it only pulls out the clear wort, no clogging.

Back