Brew of the Month?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewRI

Reaction score
I was trying to find a recipe for my second brew day (Date TBD) and I was wondering what you all would think about a permanent "Brew of the Month" thread with another archiving the past brews. It would be pretty simple, one recipe, a set of instructions, and then whoever feels like trying to could post their experience with the recipe as their beer advances in stages. I don't know anyone who brews and would love to have some people to share the experience with besides my roommate (The number one taste tester). Whats everyone think?

Off Topic, but I used to live in Narragansett as a kid... And I never could spell it right, haha Small world.

Brew of the month sounds good, although I have a long list of what I want to brew already...

Could do a sign up list. If someone feels strongly about a recipe they could sign up to write a little thing about, could be more then one I'm just sick at home day dreaming.

I think it s agood idea , I like brewing what others are brewing, to get a feel for the recipe and taste.

I'd like to see something like this and then some kind of swap to see how others did.

I know there is something like this, but it's not every month, so when it comes up I'm never ready to make a brew.

I think we should have brew buddies...no seriously!

It would be like a pen pal system but with beer. Two guys agree to brew and send each other a sixer a month. Could be a cool way to get feedback and try other homebrew for those of us without a homebrew club option. Any takers? Thoughts?

I like the buddy system, but maybe take it month to month, brew to brew.

I personally am not able to make a batch every month.

Im in
muching_out.gif

Yep I agree, here's what I've come up with in reguards to the format, tell me what could improve it and what section it should go in and I'll start a thread for the official. So I think to get a broad range we should first do a poll on styles, we can do open polling up until say the end of this month. Because there are so many styles I think we should break it down into mainstream styles for this first one and go from there. Also due to cold fermenting lagers should be ruled out at least initally. Example of mainstream: Porter, stout, brown, IPA, Bock, ESB, Hefe...etc. obviously not all styles will be represented each time, but will in future months. At the close of polling those wishing to participate in highest ranked style that month will be given 1 week to submit recipe ideas both all grain and extract, at the end of the week we can then throw those recipes up for polling for an additional week, these recipes would be listed by submitters recipe name. Once voted the highest ranked all grain and extract for the style will be posted and a specified week, possibly the one following the decision, will be the brewing time at which a thread for that beer of the month will be started. All posts about individual processes, issues, and results will go in this thread. I also feel that since I cannot move this thread that if a Mod reads this it would be great if it could be moved to a more apropriate location. I would have no qualms with being in charge of this project, as I have a ton of free time at work on overnights and check very frequently throughout the day. Please give me your thoughts and suggestions if we can come to some sort of agreement I will get everything ready tonight. I do think if this goes through we should start the first beer of the month on December to allow adequate time for collaboration.

P.S. I have no problem as well if someone else feels up to setting this up, as I know I'm relatively new here, but I would really love to take charge of the work.

I'm gonna subscribe to this thread, so when you start the poll, please put a link to it here.

Thanks!

Will do, just need to give it a little time to make sure everyones cool with that format, and me or who ever doing it.:D

What do you think about the mods creating a section just for this? Then 1 new Thread for the poll, and possibly 1 new thread for the Winning recipe for that month. Will it be a monthly thing , quarterly, etc.

I'm all down I think having 2 separate threads would work. One thread would post the Winning Recipe, and people would post their experiences making that beer under that. The second thread would be the polling for the next Beer of the Moment (I don't think a set time would work but if we just do a moment kinda thing every 5-6 weeks it should give everyone time to recover and get ready for a new batch with a little bit of lee way). We can just change the format as time goes on but I like the enthusiasm so far. I'm thinking if a moderator does it they could make it a sticky, but if thats not cool with them we'll just do it regularly and I feel it will be pretty active thread anyway.

Back