Cider Smell/Taste?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Filter

Reaction score
I have a batch that i did 1 week in primary and when i transfered to the secondary i noticed a cider smell, i went ahead and transfered and let sit for 2 weeks,stil had a cider smell when i trans to a keg and let sit and carb for a week while on vaction, when i got back i have a cider smell and taste still, will this go away for do i need to dump and make room for the next batch
:confused:
Thank Lenny

This can apparently be from using old extract. I have had that happen to me once and it was when I used 3lbs of DME I ordered online. I've never had that problem when purchasing it from my LHBS.

A lot of things will age out, this may as well.

I think you need to figure out why this batch had a cider smell/taste. It could be that you used too much table sugar, or it could be lack of sanitation. If you have not already, read www.howtobrew.com great book.

Here is the part about cider smells
Symptom: It smells like vinegar.

Cause 1: Bacteria In this case, it probably is. Aceto bacteria (vinegar producing) and Lacto bacteria (lactic acid producing) are common contaminates in breweries. Sometimes the infection will produce sweet smells like malt vinegar, other times they will produce cidery smells. It will depend on which bug is living in your wort. Aceto bacteria often produce ropy strands of jelly which can be a good visual indicator, as can excessive cloudiness, after several weeks in the fermentor (although some cloudiness is not unusual, especially in all-grain beers).
Cure: If you don't like the taste, then pour it out. Lactic infections are desired in some beer styles.

Cause 2: Wild Yeast/Bacteria Two other bugs are also common, Brettanomyces and Pediococcus. Brettanomyces is supposed to smell like horse sweat or a horse blanket. Raise your hand if you know what a horse smells like. From sweat, I mean. Anyone? I think Brettanomyces smells like leather, myself. Pediococcus can produce diacetyl and acidic aromas and flavors.

One man's garbage can be another man's gold though. These two cultures and Lacto bacteria are actually essential to the Belgian Lambic beer styles. Under other circumstances and styles, beers that taste like Lambics would be discarded instead of being carefully nurtured and blended over a two year period. Lambic beers have a pronounced tartness with fruity overtones. This type of beer is very refreshing and is excellent with heavy food.
Cure: Be meticulous in your sanitation or investigate Lambic brewing.

I'm going with old malt or you beefed up the sugar too high in your brew, one of the two.

I know table sugar will do it.

I had a similar issue with an extract-based red ale that I bottled in early April. I made a lot of mistakes when brewing this beer and infection was certainly not ruled out as a possible cause but after several taste tests over 3 months, I think the main problem was a too much corn sugar in the bottling bucket and too high a fermentation temperature which combined to create a very alcohol-tasting and way over-carbonated brew. The taste never cleared for me.

In fact, I just today opened one of the bottles that was aging (not refrigerated) to taste test and it blew a stream of foam 2 feet high all over the kitchen cabinets, leaving about 5oz of beer in a 20oz bottle. Needless to say, I just dumped the rest of the batch...what a shame. Of course, if you have the bottles to spare, you might as well bottle and give it a couple months to see if it settles out b/c you never know.

Good luck,
Chris

thank for the info guys, this was a kit from AHBS, i keg so i did not add any extra sugar, the only thing i can realy think it might be, the yeast was shipped from texas and the yeast was very warm when i got it out of the box, the other thing was the temps in the house was a little higher then normal because it was very hot out, i have fixed this problem, i have a spare bed roomwith the AC vent on the floor, i set my primary on the vent and cover it with a box,it holds about 68 all the time, i also had to put this in a 6.5 carboy and did soak in a clear/sanitizer for 1/2 hour, so i realy think it was the Heat that got me, and the yeast, they might have been dead before they got here, and wild yeast took over:(
Lenny

My first batch of nut brown ale came out nice and fizzy and delicious with my new BeerMachine, but my second batch of Pilsner tastes like malt vinegar, should I pour it out or eat french fries every day? Can this make me ill if I drink it?

My first batch of nut brown ale came out nice and fizzy and delicious with my new BeerMachine, but my second batch of Pilsner tastes like malt vinegar, should I pour it out or eat french fries every day? Can this make me ill if I drink it?

That's an acidic reply.

Latest posts

Back