Cargill Malts GMO?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schoellhorn82

Reaction score
I've made the "mistake" of watching Food Inc. and they talk about Cargill Corn being GMO and the negative impacts on ones health. Anyone heard of anything negative about their barleys? Is there a better alternative that you have an opinion on and why? I'm trying my best to buy/eat locally grown organics and never thought to look into what I use to make my beer.

I've never actually seen that brand of malt anywhere.

You can often find organic base and crystal malts from Briess and Great Western, if you're looking for that.

The supposid health "issues" of GMO crops are - in one word - a lie. GMO foods are among the most heavily foods in human history - with over 12,000 studies on safety performed to date - most by independent scientists, not the producing companies.

Of those >12K studies, only two ever claimed to find evidence of harm. The first of these was retraced ~4 years ago as it was a product of fraud (e.g. an anti-GMO lobby group made the whole thing up). The second was retracted last week as the authors didn't bother doing any statistical analysis - when done, the statistics showed that there was no harm by GMO; in fact, the female rats in the study fed GMO corn did better than the female rats given organic corn.

Ironically, the "organic" options has a long track record of serious health problems In particular, the use of organic fertilizer (compost and manure) is associated with high rates of food contamination with food-born pathogens (compared to conventional farming). Most of the cases you hear of where lettuce, spinach, tomatoes, etc are making people sick are due to so-called "organic" practices.

Bryan

there is no approved GMO Barley AFAIK

there was another discussion about this a year or so ago - that Vinne C from Russian River chimed in on and cleared up mis-information

there is a GMO discussion in the debate forum discussing personal views of GMO crops

I'm aware of Cargill, I just never see them for sale around here. I didn't know if that's a regional issue or just because they don't sell in home brew scale (meaning, perhaps they don't 55 pound sacks, they sell by the truck)

I finished the 50# sack this week-end. So yes, they do sell in 50lbs sack.On what scale, I don't know.

MC

schoellhorn82 said:
I've made the "mistake" of watching Food Inc. and they talk about Cargill Corn being GMO and the negative impacts on ones health. Anyone heard of anything negative about their barleys? Is there a better alternative that you have an opinion on and why? I'm trying my best to buy/eat locally grown organics and never thought to look into what I use to make my beer.

From what I've read about malting, most (all?) barley is non-GMO. There isn't enough money in the business compared to soy, corn, etc.

I believe Dingemans and Gambrinus are owned by Cargill. I may be wrong though.

And to resolve the "issue" temporarily no GMO barley is currently approved for use in the USA, Canada or EU (e.g. where most of the barley we use in brewing comes from), nor is it legal to import it into those countries from elsewhere (not that its being produced outside of field trials).

There is GMO barley going through trials right now - one version is fungus-resistant, one is glysphosphate-compatible (roundup-ready), and one has been modified to be aluminium tolerant (which, somehow, equals drought tolerant). There is also one that has a bacterial gluconase gene added - despite the apparent utility for brewing, the plant is actually targeted at the animal feed market.

Bryan

Back