Propane burners

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

herc1354

Reaction score
I'm looking for propane burners, low pressure, although I've found a bunch I'd like to know what are the best ones, tip quantity, quality, BTU, and price. My application is for a single tier three keg brew setup, HLT will have a HERMS coil, MLT will NOT be direct fired which leaves the BK, it will be with LP. The HLT burner will be controlled by an electric LP gas valve through a PID, i will be brewing 10gal batches.

Any ideas and suggestions?

Low pressure? Either BG 12 or Hurricane Burner. BG 12 is very cost effective, Hurricane Burner only increases BTUs by 20%, but price is like 4 times the BG 12.

usfmikeb said:
Low pressure? Either BG 12 or Hurricane Burner. BG 12 is very cost effective, Hurricane Burner only increases BTUs by 20%, but price is like 4 times the BG 12.

Thanks, found some on amazon and brewers hardware, they were about 60.00 ea. Right now I'm using a large camp stove that can hold two kegs, I used it to brew two 5gal batches this weekend, the burners are like the hurricane burners, they were able to get 5 gal of cold water boiling in about 20min and did not empty my propane tank.

image-2973896625.jpg

Nice, maybe you should just pull those burners out of that unit and put them into whatever new unit you're thinking of building...

Oh yeah the low pressure deal. Most outdoor propane burners and grills operate at a higher pressure, as I plan on using an electric LP valve to automatically fire my HLT ill need a burner and regulator that operates at a lower pressure. This is easily solved buy using a regulator that is set to about 10psi and installing a low pressure orifice. People will often run into issues when using a high pressure burner with low pressure LP, the flame will be very orange and not produce the correct BTU's. I am about to start on my single tier system and want to have all my ducks in a row, I want to have this done right the first time, that way I spend more time brewing beer then fiddling with a halved assed rig.

Back