Post pics of your smoker

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whole hog

ForumRunner_20120628_144942.jpg

It's a crappy late night picture, but I bought this UDS off a guy that does competitions. After I bought it, I hooked up a remote Maverick ET-732 wireless remote thermometer. That worked well, but now I also have an Pitmaster iQue temperature controller. This combo is da bomb. When I first did a pork shoulder on the UDS without the Maverick and iQue, I had to go out and check it every so often and tweak the air inlets. Now, I put on the shoulder(s) and go to sleep while the iQue and Maverick are doing all the work and I sleep like a baby. I did the last smoke for 18 hours and didn't have to touch anything. Awesome!!!!!

Smoker.jpg

Finished.jpg

Plated.jpg

Though I'd display my new oil tank and the initial cookoff using it. Total investment $50 for hinges and hardware. #165 hog was excellent along with the chicken quarters

101_3055.jpg

101_3059.jpg

2012 Pig Roaster.jpg

How do guys like the weber smokers? Im looking to get into smoking/bbq but am on the fence on what to get. It's about 400 for the weber, just wondering if i should pony up a few hundred more and go for a wood pellet grill?

I love mine, only regret is I got the 18.5 and wish I got 22.5. Maintains temp very easily.

Love to see the old Smoke'n Pitmasters out there. Brinkmann just dont make like this anymore. I bought two of these off of craigslist for less than 100 buchks... and this one i reconditioned.. its absolutely perfect...

I've got one of these rusting away in my barkyard. I had that sucker working pretty good with the mods in it too, before I stopped using it.

yup... we had one for about 10 years down at my sisters... I decided to get my own and redo it... glad i did
I dont recall if i added pic here it is seasoning after my referb.

IMG_0610.JPG

Here's my smokehouse. It's fully electric with a 3000w oven element for cooking and an electric smoke generator made out of a cast iron pan and hotplate on the bottom.

I built the controller myself, and it controls smokehouse temp, monitors meat temp (automatically shuts itself down when cook temp is reached), Has on/off control for the smoke generator and a variable speed CPU fan draft blower to control air flow. I use the fan for predrying prior to smoking, and to keep the airflow consistent when cold smoking. Hot smoking has enough natural convection that I don't need the fan on at all.

Controller mounted 3.jpg

Controller mounted 6.jpg

Controller mounted 1.jpg

Here's mine. I've made some fantastic ribs, pork shoulder and brisket in this! I love my Bradley smoker!

image-1787871706.jpg

Here is my reverse flow smoker. 2' x 2' x 3' smoke chamber. 2' x 2' x1' fire box all insulated and firebricked. All insulated. It has 5 cooking racks. This think is awesome. All built from the ground up

image-1924304386.jpg

Dude, I like the stack design. I'm assuming the legs are opened to the chamber below. Really need both thermos? I've found with my insulated smoker, it varies by a degree from the bottom to the top of the chamber.

dfess1 said:
Dude, I like the stack design. I'm assuming the legs are opened to the chamber below. Really need both thermos? I've found with my insulated smoker, it varies by a degree from the bottom to the top of the chamber.

The legs are not open. There is a channel up the back the brings the smoke up and into the food area, the heat travels with it and also radiates through the solid steel ceiling/floor. The smoke has to fill the food chamber before it can exit through the exhaust channels that are only 6 inches off the bottom. The thermometers were installed during construction and well now I know they are usually very close

Old School. I built this for cold smoking Bacon, Ham, and cured sausage doesn't hold heat real well in the winter but it works.
Fall2011079.jpg

Fall2011078.jpg

300RUM said:
Old School. I built this for cold smoking Bacon, Ham, and cured sausage doesn't hold heat real well in the winter but it works.

That is awesome.

_swede_ said:
Here's my smokehouse. It's fully electric with a 3000w oven element for cooking and an electric smoke generator made out of a cast iron pan and hotplate on the bottom.

... Hot smoking has enough natural convection that I don't need the fan on at all.

Fantastic work! You've inspired me to build a downsized version.

I am a bit more lazy. I went with gas after many years of fighting temp control. Life is more easy now, set it and let it go for as long as you need or untiil you run out of propain.

image-1981744903.jpg

image-2646955384.jpg

image-3549476763.jpg

image-3335047095.jpg

Well it ain't a smoker yet. 250 gl. Gonna be a double chamber reverse flow. The idea is that I will be able to just use half of the pit when I don't need the whole thing.

I'd stand it up right and put a few differnt doors on it.. use the whole thing.. you could make it a two zone (two different temps) smoker.. say your doing a brisket and ribs.. you'd like to do that brisket at a slightly higher temp.. than ribs. I have this issue with my side by side, i get away with it but if i had a chance to build one i'd make it a two zone.. :)

Good find.. I wish i had the room for one of those... and a welder to have some fun..

I actually considered that, but I plan on doing competitions in the future and laying it over to tow would be a hassle. Thing weighs 2000 lbs. so I'm going with the horizontal design and with the two separate chambers and damper system I'll be able to cook at 2 different temps.

That will work too... Competition.. hmmm.. I wish they did that around here i'd like to do some ribs at a show.. :)

Back